September 3, 2021

Looking Back - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Juvenile Fiction/Fantasy
2000 Scholastic
Read in August 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup with Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys. He wants to dream about Cho Chang, his crush (and maybe do more than dream). He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for hundreds of years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards. 

And in his case, different can be deadly.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Another enjoyable installment in the Harry Potter series, but I don't share the enthusiasm of most readers. I like these books, but I don't think this one's all that great.

My Current Thoughts:

I read this a second time (on audio) in 2016 and enjoyed the audio much better than the print edition. I gave it 4/5 rating. Here's my original blog post for that second reading: 

This was a partial re-read, as I never finished the book the first time around. In an effort to read all the books in the series before the release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I decided to listen to the remaining books. This installment was highly entertaining on audio, thanks to Jim Dale. I can certainly see why everyone was so anxious for the next release. Final Thoughts: Another winner! My only complaint is that listening to the details of the World Quiddich Cup became tedious and I found myself zoning out as I listened. Listening to Fred and George's bantering also became a bit tiresome. In spite of these quibbles, I'm glad I finally made time to listen to the book.

6 comments:

  1. I read book one when the series first appeared. I felt no need to read on, a common feeling for me.

    When I became an elementary school librarian, my students shamed me ("You haven't read all the HP books! What?!) into reading the entire series just before the last book was published.

    I can see why this series is loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it's a fun series, but I preferred the audios over the print editions.

      Delete
  2. Little known fact. When I went to the hospital to deliver my daughter via C-section, I brought book 4 of HP with me. The nurse laughed. I'll have you know that the bookmark is still in that book, in the exact same place, stopped in time. I need to read the series from the beginning plus some rude woman at the pool during my daughter's swim lessons spoiled it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I can just imagine the nurse thinking, "Yeah, good luck with getting any reading in today!" If I were to read these books again, I would go with all audios. I don't think I'd have the patience for the print editions.

      Delete
  3. Jim Dale is an incredible narrator! I liked this book though it wasn't my favorite of the series. And, I liked this book better than the movie version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jim Dale is a fantastic reader. I loved his "performance" in The Night Circus, as well.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!