September 4, 2021

A Month in Summary - August 2021

Elk Country RV Park
Trinidad, California
August 2021


Fall is just around the corner and I'm still waiting for summer to arrive! Our temps have been in the 60s for what seems like months, but at least the sun is shining. I've been able to get out and walk almost every day and the whales have been hanging out close to the shoreline, which is always a treat no matter how many times we see them. There have been a lot of pelicans in the area as well, and I love to watch their synchronized movements as they glide above the water, dipping down as they pass over the waves. 

My reading numbers were down again this month since we were on the road for 10 days, but three of the four books I completed were very good. I'm looking forward to reading more by Lily King and Jodi Picoult never disappoints. I only gave up on one, which I've had on my shelves for a long time. I loved the movie, but the book didn't hold my interest so I moved on to something else. 

I did pretty well with the 20 Books of Summer reading challenge and will post my results later in the week. Next up, putting together my list for the R.I.P. challenge, which has already begun.  

Books Read (click on the title for my review): 

On Island Time by Hilary Stewart (4/5)

Writers & Lovers by Lily King (4.5/5)

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman (2/5)

House Rules by Jodi Picoult (4.5/5)

Abandoned:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Movies & TV Series:


Lupin (Season Two) - Meh. We watched the entire season, but weren't that impressed. Season One was much better.


The Courier - I don't remember a thing about this movie.


The Bletchley Circle - We watched the first episode and weren't drawn in, but maybe we'll give it another try. 


The Prisoners - Excellent cast and a very good, albeit disturbing, thriller.


The Defeated - Good, but not great. Multiple storylines to keep track of, one of which is pretty gruesome.


Wild Bill - We just started this, so we'll see how we like it after a few more episodes.

Visitors!


My dear friend from San Diego came for a brief visit (along with her husband and mother) as they were passing through Depoe Bay heading back to California. Kristy and I have known each other for over 40 years (she's also my daughter's godmother) and it's always great to spend time catching up when our paths cross. 

Road Trip:

We had a nice, leisurely drive down to Santa Rosa to spend some time with my aunt and cousins. My uncle's memorial was postponed due to the rise in Covid cases in the area, but it was still wonderful to spend time with the immediate family. Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as hot as it was when we were in California in June. I'll blog more about the trip in the coming weeks, but here are a few of my favorite photos.





We have returned to a mask mandate (both indoors and outdoors) in Oregon as Covid cases continue to climb. Our hospitals are nearing capacity, which makes us all anxious. Please be safe, wear a mask and get your vaccinations.

24 comments:

  1. Hi Les, seems like you had a nice month even though your reading was down a bit. I love seeing all the pictures you post from your RV adventures, looks very peaceful and relaxing. So nice you could catch up with some family and your friend as well. (I didn't complete my summer reading challenge but, who cares right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. We tried a couple of new campgrounds, both of which were very peaceful with nice views. We're heading out again next week to one of our favorite spots on the coast (OR) and another one in October. We want to get out as much as we can before the rainy season begins. :)

      I like reading challenges, but never plan to read everything I've chosen. It's just a good way to tackle some of the books in my stacks. :) So yes, who cares!

      Delete
  2. Oh, so many wonderful photographs! Oregon is so beautiful, and I am envious of the temperatures. My dear friend is visiting her sister so we all get together and talk about... everything! I can appreciate your joy at your friend's visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenclair. Actually, all of the photos (with the exception of me & Kristy) are from Northern California. The Oregon coast looks pretty much the same, though. :) Isn't it great to spend time with friends who are visiting from elsewhere? One evening just wasn't enough, though.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're having a good combination of the outdoors, family, friends, and staying safe. All good choices! I love that you're seeing whales, I have yet to see as they tend to be a bit further out to see for us. Dolphins yes, whales no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, we've been very lucky to have nice weather and smoke-free skies for our travels and visitors. We used to see dolphins when we lived in San Diego, but never any whales. Now that we're in OR, we never see dolphins! :)

      Delete
  4. I’m glad your August was such a nice one, Les! I love your road trip photos, and hearing about your visits with friends and family. May your September be a lovely one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. I think summer has finally arrived here on the coast. It's been a gorgeous weekend! Hugs to you, my friend.

      Delete
  5. The second season of Lupin -- I totally agree with you. It missed all the good features of Season !. I haven't watched any of the others you mentioned, but they sound mostly more appealing.

    best...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, it's a shame that the second season of Lupin was so disappointing. I can't really recommend the others I mentioned. They were ok, but nothing great. I'm still waiting for something as good as Mare of Easttown and Bosch.

      Delete
  6. Your header photo is gorgeous! Love the peaceful scenes from your RV adventures, too. My reading was also down in August and September is likely to be the same... no big deal. It took me two tries to get into Anxious People and I did finally end up enjoying it. Writers & Lovers was a hit for me, too. I liked Bletchley Circle (probably just reading The Rose Code helped) but my husband didn't watch beyond the first episode.

    I'm beginning to get anxious about the return to Florida... seems like the strategy there is to just ignore Covid and hope it will eventually go away. We're in CT until 9/15 and will stay with my parents until at least 10/1. Sure hope things improve by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. I took that photo on the last night of our most recent trip. We'll head back down to CA next month, but have plans to head north to one of our favorite spots in Oregon next week. I'm looking forward to long walks on the beach - not that I can't do that here, but it takes a little more effort than just stepping outside. The nearest walkable beach is a short drive, but I rarely do that and opt for the bluff walks in my neighborhood.

      I hope things improve before you get back to Florida. Enjoy your final week in CT adn your visit with your folks after that.

      Delete
  7. We're wearing our masks indoors (never stopped!!) and hoping beyond hope that eventually this pandemic will cease. And meanwhile, doing our best to enjoy every day—since it's all we have. And you are doing the same. I always enjoy your month in review. Love your road trip preview photos and your joy in being with your friend Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I hope this pandemic eventually comes to an end. Right now, it doesn't seem likely, does it? We're off again next week for a week or so and then again in October for a couple of weeks. Then we hunker down while it rains. If it rains. :(

      Delete
  8. Wow great photos! I think we watched one season of Bletchley Circle. It was just okay. Now after Season 7 of Bosch (which was good), we're onto Nine Perfect Strangers ... which is odd and a bit spooky. We'll see what happens. Happy September to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! While I long for a good 35mm camera with a powerful zoom lens, I'm quite happy with the photos I take with my phone. Hmmm, I may not try to watch anymore of Bletchley Circle, but if I do, I doubt my husband will watch any more episodes. Wasn't the finale of Bosch wonderful?! Such a good cast and intriguing stories. Hmmm, I may give Nine Perfect Strangers a try. Happy September to you, too!

      Delete
  9. I always love your gorgeous pictures1 The one in the header is very special. Glad you got to spend some time with friends and family. I'll watch for your post on R.I.P.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kay. The new header photo is from a campground near Gold Beach, OR. It was our first visit and while the campsites with the views were a little pricey, it was nice to enjoy the sunset while having a cocktail and relaxing after a long day of driving. Of course, we can always do that from home, if we want to walk out to the bluff. Somehow, we never seem to do that!

      Delete
  10. Your header is beautiful. I love the sunset.

    You had a great month of reading, Les. And ten days of traveling plus a visit from a good friend? There's nothing better, I think.

    I think I will pass on Lupin if the second season was disappointing. I really like comedies best now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb. It was a lovely evening with a stunning sunset. I agree that there is nothing better than travel and visitors!

      Delete
  11. I am still waiting on my daughter's COVID test. We should know today. She is vaccinated and most everyone had her school had to be but I know many right now at church who have COVID and were vaccinated. There are just to many unvaxed people running around.

    I had no idea your temps were so low. 60! I would freeze. It's been about 104 here and last night we had a freak rain cell come through but only for a moment.

    My book club meets next week to discuss the book I chose, Hamnet and I am just getting to it. I hope to finish it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I hope your daughter is doing better and that she doesn't have COVID. Yep, we don't get very warm here on the coast. We'll occasionally get a 80 degree day, but it's very rare. Hope you're enjoying Hamnet. Our book club is discussing it in November.

      Delete
  12. These photos are amazing - your new header and the one with the red building. These need to be framed! I'm so upset that instead of the pandemic coming to an end because we have a vaccine, we've had increasing numbers. I'm just hoping that things will improve. I'm taking note of some of the shows/movies you mentioned, especially Prisoners! So glad you got to see your dear friend. Here's to more good times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Iliana. I love the photo with the school house. We has such a nice, relaxing stay at the rv park and it was thrilling to see so many elk, especially the little ones. I'm with you on the pandemic. My heart goes out to all the hospital staff who are so overwhelmed right now. The husband of a friend fell and broke his hip the other day and there weren't any beds available in either of our two hospitals, so he had to be transported 90 minutes away. It doesn't need to be this way! Grrrr.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!