October 30, 2021

And Justice There is None

 

Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #8
Mystery
2003 Bantam (first published in 2002)
Finished on October 26, 2021
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Gemma James is adjusting to professional and personal changes that include her eagerly sought promotion to the rank of inspector--and a future now intricately entwined with Duncan Kincaid. But her new responsibilities are put to the test when she is placed in charge of a particularly brutal homicide: The lovely young wife of a wealthy antiques dealer has been found murdered on fashionable Notting Hill.

Dawn Arrowood was six weeks pregnant. Her lover, Alex Dunn, a porcelain dealer in London’s bustling Portobello Market, appears absolutely devastated by her death, but Gemma’s the main focus of investigation is soon Karl Arrowood, who had the most powerful motive for killing his unfaithful wife. But this case sets off warning bells for Duncan: it’s far too similar to an unsolved murder in which an antiques dealer was killed in precisely the same way and when the escalating violence claims yet another victim, he and Gemma find themselves at increasing odds with each other--as two separate investigations become linked in the most startling of ways. Their hunt for a killer will traverse the teeming stalls of the city’s antiques markets to a decades-in-the-making vendetta of history and hatred that has been honed to a flawless, deadly point. To solve this case, Gemma and Duncan must walk a merciless razor’s edge through a place where true justice will be a long time coming.

After reading a disappointing installment in this series in September, I am so pleased that I didn't choose to stop reading any more books by Crombie as I thoroughly enjoyed And Justice There is None. As with most of her mysteries, Deborah Crombie has a fairly large cast of characters in this book, but I never felt overwhelmed and managed to keep track of everyone quite easily. I was also happy that Gemma and Duncan played front and center in the story and that readers are offered more information about the developments of their relationship. I also enjoyed the setting, which takes place at Portobello Market and Notting Hill. I spent two weeks in London back in the 1990s, wandering all of the city by Tube and on foot, so it was fun to picture the various locations in the narrative. The mysteries were not at all convoluted and yet I was unable to guess the murderer's identity before it was revealed. All in all a very good read. I do hope the next will be just as entertaining!

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're continuing your Crombie series reading, Les. I think you'll like the books to come or I hope so. The next one is a bit surprising as I recall. Just saying....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've got me curious, Kay! I probably won't get to the next in the series until December since I'm reading all nonfiction in November.

      Delete
  2. So many books, so little time is the cliché that springs to mind: if I don't like a book I can't bring myself to waste time in any others in that series. But you persisted and it was a good idea.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I'm glad I stuck with it. I've learned that while I may enjoy a mystery series, not every installment is a winner. If the newer books continued to be disappointing, I'd call it quits, but it seems to be that less than 50% are duds, so I read on!

      Delete
  3. I am impressed that you read the second book after not liking the first. I wouldn't have been so brave. I'm glad it worked out (see how many books I've probably missed out on!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, this is actually the 8th in the series. It's been interesting to look back on my ratings for Crombie's books. Starting with the first in the series and working up to this most recent read, the following is how I've rated her mysteries:

      4/5 #1
      3/5 #2
      3/5 #3
      4/5 #4
      2/5 #5
      4/5 #6
      2/5 #7
      4/5 #8

      I hope the pattern doesn't continue, as that would give the next book a 2/5. :(

      Delete
  4. I still enjoy the series; I get caught up in wanting to know what the characters are up to. And I love the maps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, that's how I feel. I care more about the regular cast of characters and not so much about the mystery. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't remember this one at all and I'm pretty sure I had read up to at least book #12 or so. Maybe I'm confused with a different series! haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how odd! There are so many mystery series, though, so I can see how you could get confused. ;)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!