November 5, 2021

Looking Back - Dear Stranger, Dearest Friend

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Dear Stranger, Dearest Friend by Laney Katz Becker
Fiction
2000 William Morrow
Read in October 2000
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent)

Publisher's Blurb:

In the bestselling tradition of Beaches comes a poignant and unforgettable novel of two very different women separated by miles and experience and the extraordinary long-distance friendship that changes and illuminates their lives.

Lara is a smart, sophisticated New Yorker who is frightened about her future. In search of answers, comfort, and advice, she goes on-line. And that's where she, "meets" Susan, a strong and steady, no-frills Midwesterner. No two women could be less alike. Yet from the moment they connect, it is clear that they share something deep and important, something that's nestled in the warmest corner of the heart.

What begins as a chance encounter on the Internet quickly blossoms into a very special relationship. As their e-mail messages fly back and forth, Susan and Lara forge a powerful bond of trust, honesty, and understanding. And soon they are sharing their lives in full -- talking of husbands and children, dreams and desires, the daily cycle of success and setback -- and together learning to laugh uproariously over the small and large absurdities of the world. When a devastating crisis arises, they are there for each other, providing the life-affirming strength and the lightness that is needed to cope with tragedy... and to triumph.

Lara and Susan originally go on-line looking for kind words and good advice. But they find in each other the greatest gift of all: a true and forever friend.

Vivid, funny, original, and profoundly moving, Laney Katz Becker's magnificent debut novel is sure to be a classic, read and reread by women everywhere, an intimate portrait of two complete strangers who become soul mates across hundreds of miles, and who discover the strength and the will to reach out and take hold of the wondrous stuff of life.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

I read this in two days! Love it, although it almost made me cry on several occasions. Wonderful format (epistolary emails). Not only is it a great story of friendship, but a wonderful source of information about breast cancer and its treatments.

Two women "meet" on the Internet. One has just found a lump on her breast and the other is a breast cancer survivor.

My Current Thoughts:

I was surprised to see that I gave this book a 5-star rating since I usually reserve those high marks for more literary works. However, I still have this book on my shelf, and although the medical information is most likely outdated, it's one that I have intended to read a second time. I love epistolary works and when I read this my online friendships were really taking hold. Remember the days when you mentioned an online friend to someone and they couldn't believe you were so close to someone you'd never met in person? Not so unusual these days, is it?

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. It might be somewhat dated, but I'm tempted to read it again. I love epistolary works!

      Delete
  2. It is funny that we think of ourselves as close to people we've never met in person, but it is also so enjoyable to know we have shared interests, experiences, etc. This book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I think developing friendships online is so commonplace now. Back in the mid-90s it was pretty unusual. I was especially grateful for my online friendship during the height of the pandemic!

      Delete
  3. I remember reading this book at the time one of my best friends moved to England. My dad had recently passed away from cancer so it all felt very real to me. I really liked this book a lot and wouldn't mind reading it again too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read this one, Iliana?! I've always thought it was one of those books that nobody has ever heard about. I'm definitely going to read it again. Do you still have a copy?

      Delete
  4. It astonishes me how many good 'forever' friends we've made through our blog, all over the country. We've met up with many in person, and it's as though we've known each other forever. I hope we get to meet up with you and Rod one of these days. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I think online friendships are much more common than they were 20 years ago, don't you agree? Now with RV friendship that have developed via Instagram and blogging, the circles have expanded even more so. I hope we get the chance to meet up with you guys, too, whether in Florida, Oregon or somewhere on the road!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!