November 6, 2021

A Month In Summary - October 2021

Klamath River RV Park
Klamath, California
October 2021


October proved to be another busy month for us. We were on the road for 18 days, spending several days at some of our favorite spots as we traveled down to Santa Rosa, where we helped my aunt celebrate her 75th birthday. Once back home, we enjoyed visits with some friends from Lincoln, NE, as well as with my aunt & uncle from Durham, NC. We even had a brief visit with my brother and sister-in-law who wound up with a cancelled flight out of Portland, so they headed over to the coast for a few hours! Quite a whirlwind of week, but it was so great to see all of these folks. 

Not surprisingly, my reading took a backseat to all the activities, although my numbers aren't exactly accurate. I have a couple of audiobooks (by Stephen King) that I got quite far into, but had to pause in order to start a book for my book club. The three books that I did complete were all very good and I'm eager to move forward in the Deborah Crombie series, as well get a copy of Hannah Tinti's debut novel. 


Books Read (click on the title for my review): 

Falling by T.J. Newman (4/5)

The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti (5/5)

And Justice There Is None by Deborah Crombie (4/5)

Movies & TV Series:


Manhunt - Very, very good. I really enjoyed this one.


Baptiste (Season 2) - The beginning of this new season is very confusing, but it eventually all comes together. Quite good.


Black Widow - I enjoyed this a lot. Very Entertaining!

Puzzlemania:



Visitors! Thanks to science and vaccinations, we have enjoyed having friends and relatives visit us in Little Whale Cove. 


We had a lovely visit with Barbara & Mark (good friends from Lincoln, NE). Hope they are able to make Oregon their new home!


We also had a great visit with Georgie & Rick (my aunt & uncle) who were here from Durham, North Carolina. It was fun hearing my mom and Rick reminisce about their childhoods.

Road Trip:

We spent a little over two weeks traveling down to Santa Rosa, CA to help my aunt celebrate her 75th birthday. It was wonderful to see her and some of the family again (we've been down there a couple of times this summer), as well as spending time camping in some of our favorite spots along the coast. 







No matter where we go, it's always great to come back home!


Weather:


We had quite a wind storm (65 mph gusts) with a lot of rain, but no trees came down, which is a good thing. We live in a forest and are surrounded by HUGE trees! 

My mom and husband have both had their Moderna boosters and I plan to get mine (and my flu shot) sometime next week. We should be healthy and safe for our Thanksgiving gathering with my three siblings and their families. I can't remember the last time we all got together for a holiday celebration! Maybe 1976?? 

26 comments:

  1. Glad you got to spend time with so many family members and friends! Love the photo of the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I'm glad we got to see so many friends and relatives, too! The photo of the water was taken when we were camping on the Klamath River near Klamath, California. It was a gorgeous morning!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your post. Love those puzzles and hearing about your RV trip.
    The library just got me a digital version of the book Falling so I’ll get to it in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tina. We have fun the puzzles and love traveling in the RV. Hope you enjoy "Falling." It's a page-turner!

      Delete
  3. I loved these posts and reading about your travels - the pics are great. The puzzles look fun and challenging as well. I started Falling twice and returned in unread - both times I had too many other books I wanted to read it seemed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! It's fun to look back on each month and also nice to have a digital reference of what all we've done throughout the year. Hmmm, maybe Falling just isn't for you. So many books...

      Delete
  4. Your photos are stunning. Love the new header! I wish we could see such a colorful fall in central Texas! So glad you guys are getting your boosters - we should be getting ours later this month or early December. Isn't it nice to start having get togethers again? I've had an opportunity to see one of my best friends and it's so nice. Will need to add Manhunt to our to be watched list. We are in the need for something new! Here's to lots of great get togethers this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice words, Iliana! The little rv park that we were camping at sits right along the Klamath River and it was such a peaceful morning when I took that photo in my header. Yes, it's wonderful to finally be able to start having get togethers again. We'll have a dozen here for Thanksgiving! Manhunt is very good. We just finished the second season last night. I really enjoyed it and am sorry we're finished.

      Delete
  5. You photos are wonderful. I am looking forward to a family visit at Thanksgiving as well. We didn't share any reading choices this month but we loved Baptiste and Manhunt season 1. I will be on the lookout for that puzzle. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! I liked the second season of Baptiste, but it was SO confusing with all the flashbacks. We finished season two of Manhunt, which I enjoyed much better than Baptiste. Martin Clunes is excellent as DCI Colin Sutton.

      Delete
  6. All your visits sound wonderful and the photos are great. I am going to check out Manhunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. We just finished season two of Manhunt. Loved it!!

      Delete
  7. Wow such great photos and recap of visitors & trips. I didn't realize you hosted so many but it looks fun ... especially your gatherings and trip to Santa Rosa ... I have not been to S.R. but have always wanted to see it. Your Aunt there looks fun and with it. That puzzle looks amazing and pretty hard too. I don't think we traveled during October but we went on 2 trips in September so we were recovering perhaps and are gearing up for a trip to SoCal for Thanksgiving. We haven't traveled then for a long time but will be seeing my parents & siblings. Hmm. And it sounds like you will be having a Big Gathering then too. 1976??! It's about time for yours. Rest up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susan! It was a fun-filled month, that's for sure. Santa Rosa is a nice community and we love visiting my aunt who is most definitely fun and with it! We laugh a lot when we're together. The puzzle was tough, especially the reflections on the water. I hope you have a great time in SoCal over Thanksgiving. We're excited about our big gathering. To be clear, we have all gathered together for other occasions, just not Thanksgiving. Should be fun. I tried a new recipe for Parker House Rolls last night and they were a huge hit with my mom and husband. They'll be perfect for Thanksgiving. Mmmmmm.

      Delete
  8. What a great month you had! I envy you all the traveling you did. It would be wonderful to have an RV or a camper, but our vehicles are almost too small to pull anything.

    And isn't it great to see family and friends?! Let's hope and pray that Covid is tamped down now for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great month, Deb. I'm so thankful for our rv travels and having people come and visit us here in Oregon. We didn't get very many visitors when we lived in Nebraska. ;) Yes, let's hope the Covid cases continue to drop and that we don't see a surge (or a new, dangerous variant) after the holidays.

      Delete
  9. So many smiles here! Obviously an excellent month filled with family and friends... and even some great books. Happy November :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a most excellent month, JoAnn! And yes, some great books. My husband finished The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley and enjoyed it immensely.

      Delete
  10. Such a happy post! I love seeing you celebrating with family and friends. As you say, YAY for science and vaccines! Although I must say, I totally felt like crap for two days after my Moderna booster last week (but much better than getting Covid!).

    I just finished The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley last night and loved it. Thank you so much for the recommendation. Do you think he survived at the end? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, it was such a great month filled with lots of love and laughter. Ugh. I'm sorry you had TWO days of misery after your booster. I'm getting mine on Monday and am prepared to have a similar experience since I felt like crap after my second shot. I just hope it's only one day and not two. My headache was so awful that I couldn't even read.

      I am SO VERY HAPPY that you loved The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley!! The ending is a little ambiguous, but I hope he survived, too.

      Delete
  11. Such great photos! Glad you are able to have family and friend get-togethers again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenclair. It was such a great month!

      Delete
  12. Manhunt is SO great. Gonna watch the last ep tonight.
    I keep thinking I should do one of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I LOVED Manhunt! Martin Clunes is so good.

      I wish you would do one of these posts. I'd love to recommendations of what you're watching.

      Delete
  13. So jealous of all of your family time. What a blessing. Beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I'm so thankful that everyone we were able to see is fully vaccinated. There are a couple of family members who are not and we haven't seen them in over two years. Now that my mom, husband and I have all had our boosters, we are talking about seeing those unvaccinated relatives. Still trying to figure out the mask & social distancing aspects of that visit, but we don't want to let much more time pass and we can't not ever see them, so...

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!