November 12, 2021

Looking Back - London Holiday

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


London Holiday by Richard Peck
Fiction
1999 Penguin Books (first published in 1998)
Read in October 2000
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

Lesley Hockaday is a St. Louis society woman, Margo Mayhew a Chicago schoolteacher and the mother of a teenage daughter, and Julia Steadman a single, successful Manhattan interior designer. Best friends during their Missouri childhood, the passage of time, the thousands of miles between them, and the demands of family and careers have taken a toll on their friendship. When a shocking act of violence reminds them how precious life really is, the three friends decide it's time for a reunion and embark on a long-awaited trip to London.

From the cozy confines of Mrs. Smith-Porter's bed-and-breakfast, Lesley, Margo, and Julia enter a gracious world of high tea in the garden, antique markets, picture-perfect countryside, and unexpected romance. The London holiday presents them with more than a few surprises, becomes a journey of self-discovery and a chance to renew the bonds of friendship, and holds the promise of three new lives awaiting them.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Not very good and difficult to stay interested. The narrative was very choppy. Definitely not another Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. The details about London were fun to read, though.

My Current Thoughts:

Nope. No recollection on this one at all. Maybe I picked it up because one of the characters' name is spelled the same way as mine (which is unusual in the U.S.).

12 comments:

  1. Oh well, if the London details were fun, that's something. :) There are so many books that make no impression at all the day after I've read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I had recently been to London, so I did enjoy those details. Other than that? Meh.

      Delete
  2. I’m sorry that this one wasn’t more memorable. London is a great setting for a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I've only been to London once (for two weeks), but it's fun to read stories and recognize the specific spots in which the characters are placed. I'd love to go back!

      Delete
  3. I don't recall seeing this book back then. London settings ... interest me. Sorry it wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I have no idea why I grabbed it other than the London setting. Makes me wish I could visit England again!

      Delete
  4. It's funny how a title can get me to pick up a book. Before I read your reviews I thought, hell yes - London Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well. ;) The reviews are pretty mixed on Goodreads, but I'm sure there are better novels about London!

      Delete
  5. Haha. I'm always amazed when I have no recollection of a book I read and posted my thoughts on! It doesn't say much for the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, we read so many books each year, it's no wonder we can't remember everything we've written & posted.

      Delete
  6. Isn't it funny when we do not have any recollection of some of our reads? This one sounds like it had a lot of potential. I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I love the cover art for this book, too. It's a shame the story wasn't more memorable.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!