November 19, 2021

Looking Back - The Quilter's Apprentice

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Elm Creek Quilts #1
Fiction
2000 Plume Books (first published in 1999)
Read in October 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

After moving with her husband, Matt, to the small college town of Waterford, Pennsylvania, Sarah McClure struggles to find a fulfilling job. In the meantime, she agrees to help seventy-five-year-old Sylvia Compson prepare her family estate, Elm Creek Manor, for sale. As part of her compensation, Sarah is taught how to quilt by this cantankerous elderly woman, who is a master of the craft.

During their lessons, Mrs. Compson reveals how her family was torn apart by tragedy, jealousy, and betrayal, and her stories force Sarah to face uncomfortable truths about her own alienation from her widowed mother. As their friendship deepens, Mrs. Compson confides in Sarah the truth about why she wants to sell Elm Creek Manor. In turn, Sarah seeks a way to bring life and joy back to the estate so Mrs. Compson can keep her home -- and Sarah can keep her cherished friend.

The Quilter's Apprentice teaches deep lessons about family, friendship, and sisterhood, and about creating a life as you would a quilt: with time, love, and patience, piecing the miscellaneous and mismatched scraps into a beautiful whole.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Took several chapters to get interested, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. Somewhat predictable, but entertaining. Good "fluff." Lots of quilting details. Almost makes me want to give it a try. Sarah lacked self-confidence, which annoyed me throughout the entire book.

My Current Thoughts:

I didn't care for this book enough to go on and read any more in the series.

8 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by this popular author. Not sure why but, I think the fact that I've never been a crafter or quilter was the reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I think there are something like 21 installments in this series! Plus, she has a few stand-alones. I know she has quite a following, but I'm not feeling compelled to read more.

      Delete
  2. And I'll raise my hand and say that I've read all of the Quilters series. Somehow, it really spoke to me and I am not a quilter at all. Can't sew at all. My grandmothers were both quilters and my mother a bit. I haven't read any of Jennifer Chiaverini's standalones that she's written in the last few years. I keep meaning to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, you'll have to let me know if you find any worthwhile stand-alones by Chiaverini. As far as quilting, I don't think I have the patience. Or the eyesight. I completed a couple of cross-stitch samplers many, many years ago, but that's as much as I've done in the textile fabric arts. Oh, I did take a sewing class in junior high school and made a wrap-around skirt and a top or two. Just not my thing!

      Delete
  3. Quilting is one of those things that I always think will be something I'll like, something to focus on, then I remember that I don't have the patience. A very dear friend is a quilter and I love seeing her work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I feel the same way about quilting. One of my friends is an amazing seamstress (makes all her own clothes and they look professional) and quilter. Whenever I think about learning how to quilt, I decide that I'd rather use that time to read!

      Delete
  4. I remember I loved this book and I think the reason I loved it so much because at the time I read it, my dad was going through cancer treatment and I was so sad and scared and needed a comfort read. I think I may have read another book in her series but just never kept going. Now one thing I would like to do is one day go to the quilt museum in Houston. I bet that would interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it sounds like this was just the right book for you to read while your dad was battling cancer.

      I'll bet the quilt museum in Houston would be fascinating. We had one in Nebraska, but I never made it there before we moved.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!