December 31, 2021

A Month in Summary - December 2021

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
December 2021


I'm really surprised that I managed to not only review every book I read in 2021, but I did so before the end of each month. I think these monthly summaries have helped to keep me accountable and will make it a lot easier for me to put together my year-end roundup. Plus, it's fun to look back on the year and see not only what I've read, but which shows and movies we watched. I'll put together a "Best of 2021" for that, as well.

This final month of reading was filled primarily with books that I had selected for Nonfiction November, as well as a couple of novels that I was eager to read. I typically don't read much in December and was shocked to tally up the numbers for this post. Two of the books were finished in the first days of the month and another was a very quick read, but nonetheless, eight books during the holidays is probably a record for me. I had a few mediocre reads, but the books in the top row were my favorites. We'll see how much I get read in January since I'm scheduled for jury duty. 



Books Read (click on the title for my review):

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab (3.5/5)


Notes on Grief by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (3/5)

Broken Horses by Brandi Carlile (3/5)

I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott (3/5)

Delancey by Molly Wizenberg (4/5)

Yeah, No. Not Happening. by Karen Karbo (1/5)

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig (4/5)

Movies & TV Series:


Don't Look Up - We loved this! Be sure to watch for the extra scene after the credits.


Station Eleven - I listened to this book in 2015 and didn't care for it (probably should have read the print edition since the timeline is very confusing), but I am enjoying the tv series. I'll finish on my own since my mom and husband aren't into it.

Grace (2 episodes) - Very good, but intense and gritty. Each case is wrapped up by the end of each episode.


Finch - Definitely a feel-good movie. Tom Hanks is great, as always.


Paranoid - I don't know where I heard about this show, but we liked it a lot. Fun to see Indira Varma (from Game of Thrones) in a different role.


Shetland (Season 6) - Finished this season. Didn't love it.

Puzzlemania:




This was a tough puzzle! I just about went blind.

Celebrations!

I turned 60 this month and enjoyed celebrating with friends and family. I was treated to three separate celebrations at a few of my favorite restaurants (all before Omicron became a such a concern).  



We also had a lovely, albeit quiet, Christmas. We even got a dusting of snow! 




I am writing this post on my new laptop and am very excited about my new Canon EOS RP camera (and telephoto lens), which will be great for wildlife photography. Santa must have thought I was exceptionally good this year! ;)

And now it's time to start thinking about 2022 and what I will choose for my first book of the year. I hope you and your families stay safe and healthy. At this point, I think everyone now knows of someone who has had Covid. Omicron is spreading like wildfire, but so far those in my extended family have had "mild" cases (similar to strep) and I'm hoping to keep my immediate family germ-free. 

22 comments:

  1. Wow is that snowflakes in your cove?! Love all your pictures. & Happy belated birthday! My husband just turned 60 yesterday. Oh gosh time flies. Great shots in the restaurants and what a view! That puzzle looks killer ... I'm going blind just looking at it. I got some puzzles for Christmas ... but since we have a new puppy dog (age 1) ... I'm not sure when I'll get to do it. You had a great reading month in December. Wishing you a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, yes! We got a dusting of snow right after Christmas. I'm always surprised to see snow on the coast, but it's not that unusual. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Still feels odd to think that I'm in my 60s... Happy belated birthday to your husband and Happy New Year!

      Delete
    2. We are always much younger in our minds ... and that's what matters! we can stay 40s forever ha ....

      Delete
    3. Sounds perfect to me, Susan!

      Delete
  2. Happy belated 60th! You had a wonderful month of reading, especially for the holidays.

    I watched Don't Look Up last night and laughed out loud numerous times. Now I'll have to go back and see the scene after the credits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! Yes, Don't Look Up is pretty humorous, isn't it? We also watched Jim Gaffigan Comedy Monster show last night, which made me laugh out loud several times. I think I need to start seeking out more humorous programs. It always feels so good to laugh.

      Delete
  3. What great pics Les. Glad Santa was good to you:) I've read 3 books from your December reads. I didn't care for The Midnight Library quite as much as you did. I did likes Notes on Grief. We have a favorite restaurant with that same kind of ocean view - a nice treat when weather cooperates. I haven't watched any of those shows or movies. Lately I'm not into television - just books or we play cards or board games. Hope you and your family have a happy, healthy 2021 and thank you for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane. We love the view from that restaurant. There's another restaurant closer to us, with an amazing view, but they don't take reservations and it's ALWAYS busy! Happy New Year to you, too. xo

      Delete
  4. I'm excited for you with a new laptop! I want one but my old one is still slowly cranking along so....I will wait. Plus we don't have internet, much to my displeasure, so I can't connect to much. OK, enough grousing!

    I LOVE this post. Your table settings and puzzles and movie selections - I wish we could see Tom Hanks in Finch and The Greyhound but our library doesn't have it. Didn't know Station 11 was made into a TV show - will look for that. Oh, we would love to see Don't Look Up. Doug said it has an all star cast and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'm really enjoying my new laptop. Isn't it funny how the simplest things like the sound/feel of a good keyboard can make typing so much more fun? ;) My old Acer was getting so slow and this new one feels so speedy. Love it! Plus, it was nice to be able to transfer everything over while my old one was still working. Much better than waiting for it to crash and lose a bunch of stuff on that hard drive.

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this post. I have fun putting them together and enjoy reflecting on the year as I scroll through my monthly summaries.

      Happy New Year to you and Doug!

      Delete
  5. Happy belated birthday and Happy New Year! Here's hoping 2022 will be filled with all good things for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel! I am so behind and have three of your posts sitting in my inbox, waiting to be read. I hope I haven't missed anything important! Happy New Year to you, too! xo

      Delete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I'm having trouble keeping up with book blogging and I really want to get back to it more in 2022. It was great to read through your recap post and I'm going to look up Paranoid. Never heard of it, but my husband and I were both addicted to Game of Thrones. Right now, we're watching Once Upon a Time on DVD, but that's not going to last the winter, I don't think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie. Since we retired and moved to Oregon, I've had much more time to stay on top of my reviews and blogging. I hope you enjoy Paranoid. It's nothing at all like GoT, but I do like that particular actress. I've never seen Once Upon a Time, but will check it out.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday, Les. I've found it very freeing to grow older, and I hope you will, too. I am eager to see the photography you make with your new camera.

    I am glad your new way of summing up the month (it would be nice if there were a linkup for these) has helped you keep up with reviewing and sharing.

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I'll give the monthly summary linkup idea some thought. I've never hosted anything like that before.

      I'm excited about this new decade and already feel more free.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! That first restaurant pictured...that view!!! Wow!!

    Congrats on reviewing all of your reads! I never ever accomplish that although I always mean to do so. And oh no about Shetland! I love that show but we are behind.

    I am so irritated about Omicron. I had my six year old vaccinated and let out a sigh of relief, like we are set now for the holidays and we don't have to be so crazy..and then along comes Omicron.

    Fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. I'm glad you enjoyed this monthly post. Isn't that restaurant view amazing? It's one of our favorite spots, especially since it accepts reservations. Living in a tourist community, you would think more places would do the same.

      You lead a very busy life, so don't worry about reviewing all your books. There were several years (when I was working at Barnes and Noble) that I fell 6-9 months behind. Hard to catch up at that point...

      I agree with you about Omicron, but how wonderful that you were able to get your son vaccinated. Maybe spring will be the turning point and we can begin to relax once again.

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday!

    I am really impressed that you reviewed all your books in 2021. I failed abysmally at reviewing. I tried to make a resolution this year not to start a new book until I review the one I just finished but here I am, 4 books into the new year, and no reviews in sight. *sigh*

    My husband asked me yesterday if I wanted to watch Don't Look Up and I passed on it. I'll have to give it a try now that I know you liked it. I really like Jennifer Lawrence. I'm just always hesitant about casts that have so many recognizable names. Those movies never tend to work out well for me.

    I want to watch Station Eleven but we don't have HBO. There are too many streaming services out there! I actually really liked the audiobook so I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

    I love your small driftwood Christmas trees! My favorite Christmas decoration is a little caroling girl made from a pine cone.

    You will love the camera and zoom lens! My husband is our photographer but when we had visitors while we were in Alaska, I used his camera while I was touring them around and he was at work. It was nice to be able to take a clear photo of things/animals in the distance. It was hard to go back to my cell phone camera, even though it is a good one.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the belated birthday wishes, Jen. Turning 60 wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. :)

      I'm already behind with my reviews for 2022, but I've been on jury duty this past week and hope to catch up on my blogging this weekend. I'm also thinking about getting back to watching the rest of Station Eleven (on my own) in the evening. I'm curious to see how it ends, but my husband and mom don't have any interest in watching any more of it.

      Isn't that little driftwood Christmas tree lovely? It's my mom's and I'd love to find some more. A friend of mine has a full size tree made of driftwood. It has to be assembled every year and it weighs a ton!

      I'm still waiting for a nice day (maybe today!) to go out for a walk and try out my new camera and lens. We've had so much rain, but it's supposed to be pretty nice this weekend. Maybe I'll spot a whale or two!

      Delete
  10. So behind in catching up on posts but I loved reading about your month - the celebrations and reading and tv watching. I have some of these shows on my list to watch as we love good police procedurals. And, most importantly a very happy belated birthday. Hope this year is filled with all kinds of wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you commenting no matter how long after I've posted a review or summary, Iliana. Thank you for the birthday wishes. 60 feels like a good year, so far!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!