February 17, 2022

People of the Book


Fiction
2008 Penguin Books
Finished on February 15, 2022
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In 1996, Hanna Heath, an Australian rare-book expert, is offered the job of a lifetime: analysis and conservation of the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, which has been rescued from Serb shelling during the Bosnian war. Priceless and beautiful, the book is one of the earliest Jewish volumes ever to be illuminated with images. When Hanna, a caustic loner with a passion for her work, discovers a series of tiny artifacts in its ancient binding—an insect wing fragment, wine stains, salt crystals, a white hair—she begins to unlock the book’s mysteries. The reader is ushered into an exquisitely detailed and atmospheric past, tracing the book’s journey from its salvation back to its creation.

In Bosnia during World War II, a Muslim risks his life to protect it from the Nazis. In the hedonistic salons of fin-de-siècle Vienna, the book becomes a pawn in the struggle against the city’s rising anti-Semitism. In inquisition-era Venice, a Catholic priest saves it from burning. In Barcelona in 1492, the scribe who wrote the text sees his family destroyed by the agonies of enforced exile. And in Seville in 1480, the reason for the Haggadah’s extraordinary illuminations is finally disclosed. Hanna’s investigation unexpectedly plunges her into the intrigues of fine art forgers and ultra-nationalist fanatics. Her experiences will test her belief in herself and the man she has come to love.

Inspired by a true story, People of the Book is at once a novel of sweeping historical grandeur and intimate emotional intensity, an ambitious, electrifying work by an acclaimed and beloved author.

People of the Book has languished on my shelf for over a decade, and I was finally inspired to give it a read after recently finishing Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell. I enjoy historical fiction and O'Farrell's novel brought to mind another novel about the Plague (Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks), which in turn motivated me to finally pick up Brooks' novel about the famed Sarajevo Haggadah. I was quickly drawn into the story and was fascinated by the history of the illuminated text, but about two-thirds into the novel it lost its momentum. I have mixed feelings about dual narratives and this one was especially frustrating. I struggled with the reverse chronology of the historical thread, annoyed that the characters I was just getting to know were replaced with a new set of individuals living not only in a different country, but also in a different century. People of the Book is educational and obviously well-researched, but it failed to hold my interest and I struggled to finish the final chapters. Perhaps my expectations were set too high.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm already having enough trouble with books holding my attention so I'll pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, a lot of folks enjoyed this one. Might be worth trying eventually.

      Delete
  2. I liked Geraldine Brooks book Year of Wonders verry much. I could actually reread that one. Haven't checked this title yet. Also, I see you mentioned Maggie O'Farrell. I jusy posted about her book The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox on my book blog, I like O'Farrell's style.

    Haven't posted on my food blog in a while, kinda lost the mojo for a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, as I remember, I enjoyed The Year of Wonders, too. I've got The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox on my must-read-soon list.

      I haven't posted any recipes in a long time. I need to try something new. I think I'm in a rut with my dinner rotation.

      Delete
  3. I read this one a long time back, probably not long after it was published. Don't recall all that much about it. I do think I liked it. Wonder if I did with a book group. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I definitely enjoyed The Year of Wonders better than this one. Not sure I'm going to try any more by her, though.

      Delete
  4. This is my favorite of Brooks's works. I'm sorry it didn't work for you though. Dual narratives sometimes irritate me too but I overlooked it in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I read your review on Goodreads and wish I felt the same about the book. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it better on audio.

      Delete
  5. I was one of the few that didn't love Year of Wonders, so I haven't read anything else by Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I've only read two books by her and I don't think I'll try any others.

      Delete
  6. Year of Wonders was a big hit for me but, for whatever reason, I've been avoiding this one. Several book group friends keep recommending it... think I'll put it off a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I really like Year of Wonders, too. Maybe try this one on audio. Might be better than my experience with the print edition. Who knows.

      Delete
  7. I read this many years ago and liked it if I remember correctly. I do remember that it is not my favorite of Brooks' books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I have Caleb's Crossing on my shelf, but after flipping through it, I'm not really interested. I may go back and reread Year of Wonders some day, though.

      Delete
  8. My uncle is always encouraging me to read more Brooks. I loved Year of Wonders but that is the only one I have read so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you'll have to let me know if you try any others by Brooks. I've only read two and recently decided against reading Caleb's Crossing.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!