March 11, 2022

Looking Back - Wish You Well

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Fiction
2000 Warner Books, Inc. 
Read in February 2001
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

David Baldacci has always delivered great stories, authentic characters, and thought-provoking ideas since he burst on the literary scene with Absolute Power. Now this versatile writer movingly evokes the charms of rural America as he makes us believe in the great and little miracles that can change lives—or save them. 

Precocious twelve-year-old Louisa Mae Cardinal lives in the hectic New York City of 1940 with her family. Then tragedy strikes—and Lou and her younger brother, Oz, must go with their invalid mother to live on their great-grandmother's farm in the Virginia mountains. Suddenly Lou finds herself coming of age in a new landscape, making her first true friend, and experiencing adventures tragic, comic, and audacious. But the forces of greed and justice are about to clash over her new home…and as their struggle is played out in a crowded Virginia courtroom, it will determine the future of two children, an entire town, and the mountains they love.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Wonderful story and characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it highly. Coming-of-age story. Touching passages. Humor. Unforgettable characters (Eugene, Cotton, Longfellow, Diamond, Oz, Lou and Louise). A real page-turner, yet more literary than Baldacci's previous works. Unpredictable.

My Current Thoughts:

I've only read a couple of books by David Baldacci, but I remember how much I enjoyed this stand-alone novel. At the time, it was quite a departure from his early thrillers (Total Control, Absolute Power, etc.). Might be fun to read it again.

10 comments:

  1. I've never read this author. I tend to stay away from male authors, especially when I was younger, as I just don't feel like, for me, male authors are able to capture emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I've only read a couple of his other books (two thrillers), but this one is a gem.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by Baldacci. I started The Christmas Train once but for some reason I didn't finish it. I may try this, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I think I tried The Christmas Train and either didn't finish it or didn't like it. This one is worthwhile!

      Delete
  3. I have had Baldacci on a potenial to=read list for years. Seems I am always trying to catch up on the books in the house or the library acquistions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I would try this one. It's quite a departure from his thrillers.

      Delete
  4. I read this one way back too. Have not reread it, but I have read a bunch of his other books. I've enjoyed several of his mystery series. As another tidbit, Baldacci and his wife do a lot of philanthropy through their 'Wish You Well Foundation' - adult and child literary, etc. Not sure how that relates with this book, but I'm sure there's a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, thanks for the tidbit about Baldacci's philanthropy project. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  5. Confession time. I have never read a book by this author. How have I missed them?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I've only read this one and two of his thrillers. About 10 years ago, I tried another novel of his called One Summer. The cover art grabbed me and I thought it would be a winner like Wish You Well. Nope. Here's a little bit of what I wrote for that book:

      It’s been close to a decade since I’ve read something by Baldacci.... I thoroughly enjoyed Wish You Well and had high hopes for another outstanding departure from his usual books. Unfortunately, after close to fifty pages, I decided to call it quits. Pick a word, any word: Overly sentimental. Schmaltzy. Predictable. Sappy. Contrived. Overwrought. Blech.

      Suffice it to say, I don't read Baldacci anymore. I got lucky with Wish You Well.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!