March 27, 2022

The Women of the Copper Country


Fiction
2019 Atria Books
Finished on March 21, 2022
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In July 1913, twenty-five-year-old Annie Clements had seen enough of the world to know that it was unfair. She’s spent her whole life in the copper-mining town of Calumet, Michigan where men risk their lives for meager salaries—and had barely enough to put food on the table and clothes on their backs. The women labor in the houses of the elite, and send their husbands and sons deep underground each day, dreading the fateful call of the company man telling them their loved ones aren’t coming home. When Annie decides to stand up for herself, and the entire town of Calumet, nearly everyone believes she may have taken on more than she is prepared to handle.

In Annie’s hands lie the miners’ fortunes and their health, her husband’s wrath over her growing independence, and her own reputation as she faces the threat of prison and discovers a forbidden love. On her fierce quest for justice, Annie will discover just how much she is willing to sacrifice for her own independence and the families of Calumet.

From one of the most versatile writers in contemporary fiction, this novel is an authentic and moving historical portrait of the lives of the men and women of the early 20th century labor movement, and of a turbulent, violent political landscape that may feel startlingly relevant to today.

The Women of the Copper Country is one of those books that took well over 100 pages before I became interested. I'm a big fan of Mary Doria Russell's novels and felt my efforts would be worth the wait, especially since so many of my favorite books have taken over 80 pages before getting hooked. I came to care about Annie, Michael and Eva, and wound up enjoying this historical novel, but it's not one of my favorites by this author. 

As with most of the historical fiction I've read, I fell down a Google rabbit hole, discovering all sorts of articles about Annie Clements, the Calumet strike, Mother Jones' visit to Calumet, and the 1913 Italian Hall tragedy (sadly occurring on Christmas Eve and killing 73 people, including 59 children).

Photo Credit: Copper Country Reflections

Photo Credit: Copper Country Reflections

Photo Credit: Mother Jones Cork


The Women of the Copper Country will appeal to fans of historical fiction, particularly those who have grown weary of dual timelines (with alternating points-of-view), preferring a more straightforward, linear narrative. With her extensive research and meticulous attention to detail, Mary Doria Russell not only educates and informs her readers of historical events, but she's quite entertaining as well. I have two books (Doc and Epitaph) left to read, but I can highly recommend Dreamers of the Day and The Sparrow. These are my favorite novels by this exceptional author, although A Thread of Grace follows closely behind. 

Click on the following links to read my reviews of MDR's books:

The Sparrow (reread)




Widely praised for meticulous research, fine prose, and the compelling narrative drive of her stories, Mary Doria Russell is the award-winning author of seven bestselling novels, including the science fiction classics The Sparrow and Children of God; the World War II thriller, A Thread of Grace; and a political romance set in 1921 Cairo called Dreamers of the Day. With her novels Doc and Epitaph, Russell has redefined two towering figures of the American West: the lawman Wyatt Earp and the dental surgeon Doc Holliday. Her latest novel, The Women of the Copper Country, tells the story of the young union organizer Annie Clements, who was once known as America’s Joan of Arc. Mary holds a Ph.D. in biological anthropology from the University of Michigan and taught anatomy at the Case Western Reserve University School of Dentistry.  (Author's website)

My interview with Mary Doria Russell 

10 comments:

  1. The good thing about good and authentic historical books and fiction are the facts and insights they give us about the period. This looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, this is quite good. I recently put together a list of all the historical fiction that I've read over the years and I was stunned that I've read so much of that genre!

      Thanks for stopping by with your comment!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure that I would give a book a hundred pages to engage me unless it was a novel by an author I have enjoyed greatly in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I wouldn't either. Since I have loved some of MDR's earlier works, I stuck with this one. I didn't love it, but it was worthwhile and I learned something new, which is always a good think, right?

      Delete
  3. It's funny to be reminded about historical fiction without dual timelines and it sounds refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I really appreciated the linear timeline. Dual timelines are used so often anymore.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Mary Doria Russell, so this may not be the best place to start...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I would recommend starting with either Dreamers of the Day or The Sparrow. They are both outstanding!

      Delete
  5. Another good writer I still need to read. I enjoy historical fiction so I need to try her novels out. I'm glad for your link about the tragedy in this book -- sounds unreal & awful. (There was never even a fire, ugh!?!) I also was glad for your link of your past interview with the author - how terrific! Wonderful love that info. I might try the WWII one perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, she is an amazing writer! I think you'll like Dreamers of the Day, but also give The Sparrow a try. I'm almost ready to read it again (3rd time? 4th time?). I love the characters and the world that MDR created in that story. Yes, to answer your question, there never was a fire on Christmas Eve in this book (The Women of the Copper Country). So awful. It was fun to interview MDR. I met her many years ago (1998) at a very small book gathering. She is delightful and very funny.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!