April 2, 2022

Anne of Avonlea

(Anne of Green Gables #2)
Children's Fiction
1992 Bantam (first published in 1909)
Finished on March 29, 2022
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

At sixteen, Anne is grown up...almost. Her gray eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learning how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables, and wonders about the strange behaviour of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures touch the heart and the funny bone.


My godparents gave me a copy of Anne of Avonlea in the early 70s, but I no longer own the book and have no idea when or why I got rid of it. I can't imagine that I didn't enjoy reading this sequel to Anne of Green Gables (which I do still own), and even if I didn't plan to read it a second time, I'm sorry I didn't keep the book. Nonetheless, I borrowed a copy from the library and enjoyed revisiting Prince Edward Island and Anne's latest adventures and mishaps. I was surprised that after fifty years, I could still remember some of the events and new characters from this classic. As is my experience with some children's books, I grew a little bored with the simplistic storyline, but I still enjoyed it quite well and look forward to re-reading Anne of the Island.

6 comments:

  1. The first time I read Anne of Green Gables was a few years ago and it was very good but, I was never pulled to read more. I don't recall my daughter reading them in the 80s either??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm enjoying my trip down memory lane as I reread this series and I'm eager to try some of the others in the series that I missed out on the first time around. I'm pretty sure I've only read the first three. I'm not sure if my daughter ever read any other than the first book.

      Delete
  2. I read Anne of Green Gables for the first time after our trip to Prince Edward Island in 2019. It was charming (although simplistic) and I've meant to read the other books in the series. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, simplistic is how I would describe the books! I'm envious of your trip to PEI. I would love to see it someday...

      Delete
  3. There is something about these two books that just pulls the reader in. I have a friend who took a bicycling vacation to Prince Edward Island so she could ride the Anne of Green Gables area. She said it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, how great for your friend. That must have been a wonderful vacation! I love to bike and think riding around PEI would be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!