April 1, 2022

Looking Back - The River King

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
2000 G.P. Putnam's Sons
Read in February 2001
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

From the best-selling author of The Dovekeepers, The River King confirms Alice Hoffman as "one of our quirkiest and most interesting novelists" (Jane Smiley, USA Today).

People tend to stay in their place in the town of Haddan. The students at the prestigious prep school don't mix with locals. Even within the school, hierarchy rules as freshman and faculty members find out where they fit in and what is expected of them. But when a body is found in the river behind the school, a local policeman will walk into this enclosed world and upset it entirely. A story of surface appearances and the truths submerged below.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Took a while to get into, but glad I stuck with it. "A suspenseful, lyrical account of one man's search for the truth, by the master storyteller whom the Washington Post Book World has called 'a writer of great wisdom and compassion.'" Memorable characters. Mystical realism. Romance and mystery in one. Good, but the ending was a bit flat and anticlimactic. 

My Current Thoughts:

I have a vague memory of reading this book and not really enjoying it very well. I also didn't bother to watch the movie, which is based on the novel. It's been a long time since I've read anything by Hoffman, and I was surprised to see that she has written over two dozen novels. I keep meaning to try The Dovekeepers.

6 comments:

  1. I went on an Alice Hoffman reading binge (it seems like many years ago now) but I don't remember this one. I loved several of her novels and others I found only tolerable. Too bad I haven't kept a book blog (or at least a list!!). I guess I need to go back and reread some of her work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I feel the same way about Hoffman's books. In addition to this one, I've read Turtle Moon (4/5), Here on Earth (4/5), Survival Lessons (3/5), The Blue Diary (pre-blogging), and Seventh Heaven (pre-blogging). I thought I had read more, but that's all that sound familiar.

      Delete
  2. Back in the day, I had a good friend who loved Alice Hoffman. She read everything Hoffman wrote and she thought her writing was magical. I think I read one of her books, but I never felt that strong connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I've enjoyed a handful of her novels, but wouldn't say that she's a favorite author.

      Hope you are having a wonderful time in Paris!

      Delete
  3. I thought I had read an Alice Hoffman, but just Googled her books and I haven't. I think it's so interesting to read what you thought of a book when you first read it and your thoughts now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I wish I could recommend one of her books, but I'm not sure which would interest you. She's definitely a hit-or-miss author, at least for me.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!