April 22, 2022

Looking Back - Never Change

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
2001 Pocket Books
Finished on March 2, 2001
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Elizabeth Berg has penned an unforgettable tale about second chances that tugs hard at the heart strings even as it soothes the soul. Never Change tells the bittersweet story of Myra Lipinsky, a 51-year-old home care nurse and self-acclaimed spinster who finds herself assigned to care for the golden boy she secretly worshipped back in high school. Only Chip Reardon isn't quite so golden these days -- he's dying from a highly virulent type of brain tumor.

For Myra, the chance to care for Chip fills her with both pleasure and anxiety, particularly when she realizes that she still has strong feelings for him. At first their reunion is marked by fun, joy, and memories. But then reality kicks in when Chip's old girlfriend, Diann, shows up, and Myra once again finds herself feeling like the fifth wheel she was back in high school. Yet despite slipping into their old roles, the three quickly discover that they have all changed. For Myra, this leads to a bittersweet irony as she finds herself in a loving relationship for the first time in her life -- only to have it be with a man whose days are drastically numbered.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Sucked right in from the very first page. I love this author! Another wonderful book. Sweet. Romantic. Memorable characters.

My Current Thoughts:

I still have a copy of this book and think I'll make time to read it again.

4 comments:

  1. I think you know that Elizabeth Berg is one of my favorite authors. I've been listening to her books on audio (after having read them years ago) and that's been fun. But...apparently she narrates all of her books, and I find something about her reading to be annoying. I'm kind of getting used to her after a couple of books, though, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I pretty sure I've read all of Berg's novels in print and never on audio. I kind of thought I might go the audio route when it came time for rereading, but you've convinced me to stick with the print editions. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one, but how fun that you loved it the first time around (enough to keep the book all these years). I am not a re-reader, but I hope you like it the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I wan't a rereader until recently. I try to reread one book each month, but so far it's more like one every quarter. I'm currently reading The Shell Seekers for the second time and it's as if I were reading it for the first time! I've forgotten SO much about the story. It's just as enjoyable as when I read it in the late 80s. Of course, rereading isn't always a success. Some of the books that I've read a second time have been boring or disappointing. It's a gamble, just like picking up a book for the first time, I suppose.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!