April 17, 2022

The Absolutist

Fiction
2021 Other Press (first published in 2011)
Finished on April 8, 2022
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent)

Publisher's Blurb:
 
It is September 1919: twenty-one-year-old Tristan Sadler takes a train from London to Norwich to deliver a package of letters to the sister of Will Bancroft, the man he fought alongside during the Great War.

But the letters are not the real reason for Tristan's visit. He can no longer keep a secret and has finally found the courage to unburden himself of it. As Tristan recounts the horrific details of what to him became a senseless war, he also speaks of his friendship with Will - from their first meeting on the training grounds at Aldershot to their farewell in the trenches of northern France. The intensity of their bond brought Tristan happiness and self-discovery as well as confusion and unbearable pain.

The Absolutist is a masterful tale of passion, jealousy, heroism, and betrayal set in one of the most gruesome trenches of France during World War I. This novel will keep readers on the edge of their seats until its most extraordinary and unexpected conclusion, and will stay with them long after they've turned the last page.

What a marvelous novel! I read it over the course of four days and was truly bereft when I turned the final page. It was a great read for my four-hour flight to Nashville. I would have loved to have read all day; the time passed far too quickly!

Boyne's novel opens in 1919 with Tristan's visit to Norwich. The details of his story are deliberately vague, but as the narrative unfolds, we learn more about Tristan and Will's experience in the Great War. Alternating between their training and combat in the war (1916) and Tristan's visit with Will's sister, Marian Bancroft (in 1919), the reader experiences the horrors that these two soldiers suffered during their brief year in battle. As I read, I had to remind myself that Tristan (who lied about his age when he joined up) is just twenty-one when he visits Marian. While not a young boy, he comes across as a much more mature man. Sadly, war steals the innocence and care-free life of the young.

The Absolutist is the fourth novel by John Boyne that I have read, and he is decidedly one of my favorite authors. I wasn't enthralled with The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but I loved The Absolutist equally as well as The Heart's Invisible Furies and A Ladder to the Sky. These literary works are worthy of multiple readings and discussion, and I'm eager to discover more by Boyne, who has written 13 novels (and 6 YA books). 

I feel as though my brief review does not do justice to Boyne's talent as a writer. Perhaps the following will help to persuade you to give this and any of his other books a chance:
A novel of immeasurable sadness, in a league with Graham Greene's The End of the Affair... Boyne is very, very good at portraying the destructive power of a painfully kept secret... this is a forbidden love story, a gay love story, but one with a terrible twist. ~John Irving, author of A Prayer for Owen Meany

A wonderful, sad, tender book [that] is going to have an enormous impact on everyone who reads it. ~Colm Toibin, author of Brooklyn
 
What begins as a slow-building World War I period piece…grows deeper, more curious, and uneasy as it progresses—and midway through this sad and beautiful story, you realize you’re in the hands of a quiet master…a taut and tragic tale of love and war, with a kick-in-the-gut ending. ~Amazon (Best Books of the Month)

My initial rating for The Absolutist was 4.5/5, but upon reflection while composing this review, I'm bumping that rating up to 5-stars. Highly recommend, particularly to those who loved All the Light We Cannot See and City of Thieves.

10 comments:

  1. This has been on my to read list for far too long... I'm overdue for a book that makes me want to sit and read all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by Boyne yet. Do you think this would be a good place to start?

      Delete
    2. JoAnn, I think any of these three would be fine to start with: The Heart's Invisible Furies, A Ladder to the Sky, or The Absolutist. I gave The Absolutist a 5-star rating and the other two a 4.5/5 rating. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. BTW, I read all of them in print form. Diane mentioned that the audio for The Absolutist was too slow, so I went with print. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. JoAnn, it was so good! I borrowed the other two of his that I read, but now I want to buy them to have on my "keeper" shelf. I was on such a reading high after finishing, I bought The House of Special Purpose when I was at Parnassus in Nashville. Didn't even look at the back cover blurb. Just saw it on the shelf (the only one I hadn't read by Boyne that they stocked) and snagged it right away. Have you read any of his books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my TBR list and you have made me really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, you won't be sorry. Boyne is a terrific writer!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE LOVED this book and also rated it 5/5 stars - just so wonderful! I have several other John Boyne books on my list now as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it was your review that prompted me to get my copy of this book. It really is a wonderful, albeit heartbreaking, story. A great literary novel! Thanks, Diane!

      Delete
  5. You have certainly made me want to read it. I love WWI tales, and we visited many of the French battlefields in 2018. Perhaps it would be a good read for my book club?? I will request it from my library. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this is such a remarkable novel. I know you'll love and appreciate the fine writing. Have you read Jonathan Hull's novel Losing Julia? It's also set during WWI and I've read it twice now. Click here for my blog post about that exception book.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!