May 2, 2022

Tennessee

Last month we flew to Nashville to visit our daughter and son-in-law, who live in Franklin, Tennessee. We hadn't been on an airplane since 2016, but everything went smoothly; no delayed or cancelled flights and the mask mandate was still in effect, and everyone behaved themselves. We flew nonstop from Seattle to Nashville and while it was nice to skip the additional landing and take-off, the four-plus hour flight felt long. Thankfully, I had good reading material. 

We had the best time catching up with Amy & Will, seeing their beautiful home, and playing tourists. We stayed at the Harpeth in downtown Franklin, a charming historical town south of Nashville. There is so much to see in Franklin and Nashville and we're already talking about a return visit.

A view from our room at the Harpeth.




Franklin Public Square


Beautiful day for a drive on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Our daily stop for coffee & breakfast
 at McGavock's (in the Harpeth).

Can't visit Tennessee and not tour a distillery!


No souvenir bottle to bring home. 
Sadly, they were sold out of their bourbon and we didn't love the whiskey. 




Found a couple of books that I couldn't live without.
Finished The Absolutist, so I had to get another by Boyne.
Patchett's is signed; need I say more? 

Another must on our list.








Kris' "Help Me Make It Through the Night"


John Prine's "Sam Stone"

It was fun to see all the exhibits, 
especially those featuring
 Kris, Johnny, and John Prine.

We had some wonderful meals, but I didn't take very many photos. We ate most of our morning meals at McGavock's, but I spotted Ruby Sunshine while I was exploring and decided we would go the following morning. It was so good, we went back one more time before we flew home. We also enjoyed meals at Franklin Bakehouse, 1799 (in the Harpeth), and Culaccino

Ruby Sunshine
Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict on a Biscuit






Our lovely room at the Harpeth.


We loved exploring Franklin and Tennessee, but the best part of the trip was finally seeing these two! It had been far too long. 


14 comments:

  1. Great pictures and travel notes! I've visited Nashville but missed out on Franklin, TN, so now I definitely want to go back. I love Ann Patchett's books, and her bookstore looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie. It was a wonderful get-away and I'm anxious to get back, maybe in the fall when the leaves are turning. Patchett's bookstore is lovely. I could have easily spent an hour or two in there!

      Delete
  2. What great pics Les; I love that you got to visit Ann Patchett's book store. I used to go to Knoxville on business now and then but, always traveling solo, I never stopped in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. It was fun to spend some time (and money) in Parnassus. :) I'll definitely return! Nashville is too big city for my taste, but Franklin is lovely.

      Delete
  3. It looks like you had an absolutely fantastic trip with great weather, good sights and eating, and seeing family! Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it was fantastic and so great to see the "kids" again.

      Delete
  4. Laurel (www.ravenandchickadee.com)5:52 AM

    That looks like a fabulous trip! We've loved our visits to Nashville, including a day at the Country Music Hall of Fame. But we haven't been to Franklin, and it looks well worth a visit, even just for that fabulous bookstore. The South has its charms. :-) So glad you got to visit with your daughter and son-in-law.
    (P.S. I don't know what's happened, but blogger is not allowing me to comment as I usually do with my name and URL. It says my URL doesn't exist, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, it was such a good trip! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and look forward to our next visit. Franklin is definitely worth visiting, as is Leiper's Fork. The bookstore isn't in Franklin, though. It's in Nashville in an area called Green Hills, which is northeast of Belle Meade. It's a lovely little bookstore. Blogger's comment field has looked odd for the past few days. I hope they get it straightened out.

      Delete
  5. What a cute pic of the two of them at the end. In fact all the photos look great. The bookstore looks pretty good-sized. Did you see Patchett or any dogs in there? Apparently it's pet friendly hmm. I've only been to Nashville once in the 1980s ... on my brother's college tour. But that was a long time ago ... and I'd love to go back. So much to see & listen to there... the music. I don't know Franklin but it looks pretty. So glad you had a good time. nice report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. They're a cute couple and very photogenic! Yes, Parnassus is a nice size. Not too small or crowded, but not super big. It's in a little strip mall and very unpretentious. No, I didn't see Ann Patchett or any dogs. Maybe next time. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you finally had a chance to visit your daughter and SIL... they look so happy together! I've wanted to stop at Parnassus on one of trips north, but we haven't managed to get much west of Asheville, NC. My brother and his family visited Nashville a few years ago and they all loved the area. Judging from your photos, I can see why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, we are so glad we finally got out to TN to see the kids! They are very happy together, which makes us happy parents. You'll have to try to fit a trip to Franklin/Nashville on one of your drives to or from Florida. You'd love it!

      Delete
  7. I've never been to Tennessee, but now you make me want to visit. At the top of my list for a future Tennessee stop is Ann Patchett's Parnassus bookstore. It looks like a fantastic bookstore.

    But the best part about traveling is seeing those beautiful faces again. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I think you would love Tennessee! Lots of places to hike and beautiful countryside. Parnassus is a definite must!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!