July 15, 2022

Looking Back - The Pact

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


The Pact: A Love Story by Jodi Picoult
Fiction
1998 William Morrow
Finished on April 18, 2001
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Friendship, loyalty, lifelong love -- and teenage suicide. A riveting, timely, and terrifying novel from an acclaimed writer who skillfully intertwines the intimate perceptions of Anne Tyler with the dramatic tension of John Grisham.

The Golds and the Hartes, neighbors for eighteen years, have always been inseparable. So have their children-and it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. But the bonds of family, friendship, and passion-which had seemed so indestructible -- suddenly threaten to unravel in the wake of unexpected tragedy.

When midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the truth. Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris pilfered from his father's cabinet-a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris describes.

This extraordinary, heart-rending novel asks questions that every parent faces: How much do we know about our children? Our friends? What if . . .? As its chapters unfold, alternating between an idyllic past and an unthinkable present, The Pact paints an indelible portrait of families in anguish . . . and creates an astonishingly suspenseful courtroom drama, as Chris finds himself on trial for murder.

It's rare to find a writer who combines Alice Hoffman's gift for evoking everyday life in pellucid prose with a remarkable ability to create a legal page-turner that will keep you up all night reading, but this is such a book. The Pact rings true: wonderfully observed, truly moving, frightening, and utterly impossible to put down.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Excellent. This author is talented! Grabbed me with the first page. Riveting. Unpredictable. Page-turner. Somewhat scary - how well do we know our teenagers? Great courtroom drama (as with Keeping Faith). Couldn't put it down. Realistic events and characters. Twists and turns kept me guessing.

My Current Thoughts:

According to my reading journal, I read this in two days. That's extremely fast for me, considering the hardcover is almost 400 pages. I've often thought about reading it again, but with all the recent gun violence, I'm not sure it's for me anymore.

8 comments:

  1. That's one of Picoult's I have not read. Nineteen Minutes is gripping but again, with the current gun violence I wouldn't revisit now. The most recent of her books I have read is Wish You Were Here. Vanishing Acts is prettty good good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I thought Nineteen Minutes was amazing! I'm glad I read it before this recent bout of gun violence errupted. I loved Wish You Were Here, too. I don't think I've read Vanishing Acts, but it does sound good. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think The Pact was the first Picoult book that I read - way, way back. I might have reread it - think I did, but it's been a long time. Not sure I'd be as fond of it now. In any case, I have way too many books that I want to try and also am looking forward to. There are bunch coming out in upcoming weeks that I want to get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, we probably read it around the same time. Yes, there are so many new (and new to me) books out that rereads are few and far between!

      Delete
  3. Gun violence would be tough to read about right now, but Jodi Picoult is always a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I think there's only been one book by Picoult (The Tenth Circle) that I didn't care for. I've read almost all her others and have loved them.

      Delete
  4. I think Jodi Picoult is a very good writer, but I don't really like her stories. And I know that probably sounds odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you aren't the only one. A lot of readers dislike her formulaic plots and the twist at the end.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!