July 8, 2022

Looking Back - A Painted House

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
2001 Doubleday
Finished on April 15, 2001
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day. It was a Wednesday, early in September 1952. The Cardinals were five games behind the Dodgers with three weeks to go, and the season looked hopeless. The cotton, however, was waist-high to my father, over my head, and he and my grandfather could be heard before supper whispering words that were seldom heard. It could be a "good crop."

Thus begins the new novel from John Grisham, a story inspired by his own childhood in rural Arkansas. The narrator is a farm boy named Luke Chandler, age seven, who lives in the cotton fields with his parents and grandparents in a little house that's never been painted. The Chandlers farm eighty acres that they rent, not own, and when the cotton is ready they hire a truckload of Mexicans and a family from the Ozarks to help harvest it.

For six weeks they pick cotton, battling the heat, the rain, the fatigue, and, sometimes, each other. As the weeks pass Luke sees and hears things no seven-year-old could possibly be prepared for, and finds himself keeping secrets that not only threaten the crop but will change the lives of the Chandlers forever.

A Painted House is a moving story of one boy's journey from innocence to experience.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Fantastic! Started off rather slow (character-driven versus plot-driven), but well worth hanging in there. Unforgettable characters. Touching. Humorous. Seven-year-old Luke is wise beyond his years. Witness to two killings. Loves the St. Louis Cardinals. Picks cotton with his family on their farm in Arkansas. Set in 1952. A quiet story. Subtly suspenseful. A refreshing departure from Grisham's legal thrillers.

My Current Thoughts:

While I don't remember much about the story, I do remember that I loved it. This would be a great book to revisit on audio.

Favorite Passage:
As we left town I thought about the end of the season. Baseball began in the spring, when we planted and when hopes were high. It sustained us through the summer, often our only diversion from the drudgery of the fields. We listened to each game, then talked about the plays and the players and the strategies until we listened to the next one. It was very much a part of our daily lives for six months, then it was gone. Just like the cotton.

I was sad by the time we arrived home. No games to listen to on the front porch. Six months without the voice of Harry Caray. Six months with no Stan Musial. I got my glove and went for a long walk down a field road, tossing the ball in the air, wondering what I would do until April.

For the first time in my life, baseball broke my heart.

8 comments:

  1. I always think it's funny when I remember I loved a book but only remember bits and pieces of it. I suppose it's from reading so many books between that time makes parts fade from your memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I remember how much I enjoyed the baseball part of the plot. That's about it!

      Delete
  2. I tried reading Grisham as a teen. I loved The Pelican Brief but couldn't get into The Firm and A Time to Kill at all (though I liked the movie version of ATTK). I don't think I've tried reading any of his books since then. I'm glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I loved his early legal thrillers, but got bored with his writing as the years went by.

      Delete
  3. I don't usually read John Grisham, but this looks like something I would enjoy. We're in Wisconsin now, three weeks into our travels, and I don't always have good internet connection...but I'm trying to keep up with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I really enjoyed the baseball backdrop. Enjoy your travels! I'm honored that you are trying to keep up with my posts. :)

      Delete
  4. Grisham is a go to for me. While many of his books are a bit formulaic (lawyer in small town Misssissippi, etc), I really liked Grey Mountain, which took on the coal mining industry in West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I haven't read Grey Mountain, but will give it a look. Thanks!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!