July 10, 2022

The Narrowboat Summer

 

Original Title: Three Women and a Boat
Fiction
2020 Flatiron Books
Finished on July 1, 2022
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances, about three women, one dog, and the narrowboat that brings them together.

Eve expected Sally to come festooned with suitcases and overnight bags packed with everything she owned, but she was wrong. She arrived on foot, with a rucksack and a carrier bag. “I just walked away,” she said, climbing on to the boat. Eve knew what she meant.

Meet Eve, who has left her thirty-year career to become a Free Spirit; Sally, who has waved goodbye to her indifferent husband and two grown-up children; and Anastasia, a defiantly independent narrowboat-dweller, who is suddenly landlocked and vulnerable.

Before they quite know what they’ve done, Sally and Eve agree to drive Anastasia’s narrowboat on a journey through the canals of England, as she awaits a life-saving operation. As they glide gently – and not so gently – through the countryside, the eccentricities and challenges of narrowboat life draw them inexorably together, and a tender and unforgettable story unfolds. At summer’s end, all three women must decide whether to return to the lives they left behind, or forge a new path forward.

Candid, hilarious, and uplifting, The Narrowboat Summer is a novel of second chances, celebrating the power of friendship and new experience to change one’s life, at any age.

I have always loved being on or near the water, whether that be sailing on a lake, cruising on a river, or simply sitting by the ocean. My husband and I have cruised the San Juan Islands (on my dad and stepmom's boat), and I took a fabulous two-week cruise (on the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers) with my mom a few years ago. Each of these excursions involved traveling through locks, so I was interested to read Anne Youngson's novel, The Narrowboat Summer, which centers around two strangers (who become great friends) traveling the canals of England on a narrowboat. It took me a few chapters to get fully immersed in the story, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I came to care about Eve and Sally, as well as Anastasia and her goofy dog Noah. With Youngson's attention to detail, I felt like I was on the journey with this motley crew.
On the towpath of a canal in a town not far from London, not far from the coast, is moored a narrowboat pained dark blue with the name Number One picked out in red lettering on the prow. It is tethered tightly to the bank with ropes made wet by the rain and slimy with age, wrapped around pegs bent out of shape by the misaimed blows of a lump hammer. It is still in the water. At either end the doors are fast shut and the windows along the side are latched. On the roof is a skylight, cantilevered up to let the fresh air into the cabin below. Puddles of water on the deck and roof show that it has been raining, but at this moment it is not. 
I had hoped for a happy ending, and I wasn't disappointed. If you're looking for a feel-good read (which is neither cloying nor sentimental), The Narrowboat Summer is just the ticket. I not only want to read it again, but I'm looking forward to trying Youngson's previous work, Meet Me at the Museum.

In addition to this uplifting story, I fell in love with the cover art illustration. You can find more information about the artist, Sarah Maycock, here and here
Eve drove the Number One through the first ten locks and Sally thought that, when she took over, there would be time to talk in the dripping gloom of an empty lock while that waited for it to fill up. This, however, proved impossible. It was necessary to keep the boat steady in the lock, avoid it drifting too far forward, where the nose could become trapped on a beam of the gate, or too far back, where the sill could foul the rudder, and the concentration needed, plus the noise, the engines and the roar of the water coming into the lock, meant that nothing could be said that needed consideration, until the last, calm moments as the lock filled right to the top, when the Grimm's crew swapped over. 

The following photos are from the Great Rivers of Europe Cruise. We traveled through 66 locks (many while we were sleeping) over the course of two weeks. 

Inside the lock

Gate closing

Water rising



These photos (below) are of the Ballard Locks in Seattle. The locks connect Puget Sound with Lake Union and Lake Washington.





Click here for more information about the operation of canal locks.

13 comments:

  1. This one caught my eye a year or so ago when I first heard of it, and I just haven't gotten to reading it yet, so when I saw this blog post pop up I had to see what you thought. :) And that cover art is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Greg! Thanks for commenting. I've "seen" you commenting on other blogs and will have to pop over and check out your blog. Hope you get a chance to read this quiet book. It's a gem and I love the setting. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I love to hear that. For some reason the idea of this book really appealed to me- the idea of floating through the waterways of England. I'm so glad to hear it was a good one. And nice to meet you as well. :)

      Delete
  2. My one river cruise in Europe was on the Elbe, which has no locks. I want to travel on a river that has them because I think the concept is ingenious and interesting. This novel sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, traveling on a river is such a great experience. Most of the locks were during the night, but I'd already experienced them in Seattle, so I didn't try to stay awake (or wake up) for the ones on the European cruise. I think I managed to see one or two on the entire trip. I think you'd enjoy this quiet novel. I'm saving it for a reread some day.

      Delete
  3. I started this book an audio (from hoopla) over the winter, but got distracted by something that was faster paced. I also have it on my kindle, so will get back to it when the right mood strikes. I didn't realize it is by the same author as Meet Me at the Museum... that book was mentioned as a read-alike to Love & Saffron and is also on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I think I listened to a sample of the audio and didn't care for it. I hope you give it another try. I really enjoyed it once I got settled in to the characters' histories.

      Delete
  4. I loved this book as well as her first one. They are quiet thoughtful reads. My husband and I went through the locks on the Muskingum River in Southern Ohio. It was a birthday day trip to see the fall leaves. After reading this book, I found a series on Netflix about 2 men traveling through England on a narrow boat which we enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that her first book is just as good! What a fun day trip you must have had down the Muskingum River. Thank you for telling me about the Netflix show. I'll look for it!

      Delete
  5. I started this book but couldn't get into it, probably my mood at the time. I have planned to start it again and your post makes me to move it further up the list. We owned a few different boats over the 30 years we were married and I love spending time on the water. The photos make me miss going through the locks. It was so cool! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it's definitely a book that asks the reader to slow down and savor the writing. It took me a few chapters before I came to care about the main characters, but I'm so happy I stuck with it. We've never owned a boat, but my husband has written a few nautical books (nonfiction annotations of two classics) and most recently one about a gentleman who circumnavigated the globe without any instruments. Had we remained in San Diego, I think we would have bought a boat (or two)!

      Delete
  6. I love going through locks! The Panama Canal was fun that way, but I especially liked my boat trip on the Columbia River with all the famous locks and dams.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I'll bet it was great fun to travel through the Panama Canal! Gosh, we live so close to the Columbia River. We really should take a boat trip up that river!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!