August 8, 2022

Bend, Oregon

Central Oregon Road Trip
Sunday, May 22, 2022 
Bend, Oregon
64 degrees and sunny!


We needed to pick up a few groceries, so we drove south to Fred Meyers in Redmond then headed down to Bend (45 minutes south of our campsite in Culver) to do some exploring. First stop, coffee! Bend has over a dozen coffee shops and we decided on Thump Coffee since it's near a couple of bookstores we wanted to visit. Thump has a relaxed, artsy vibe, reminding us of The Mill in Lincoln (NE). I had a Spicy Mayan Mocha and a Nutella cream cheese type of croissant. Rod had the same pastry and a latte. Delicious! My mocha was true to its name; much spicier than the Mexican Mocha that I previously had in Sunriver, but still very good.



Fueled with caffeine and sugar, we headed out to explore downtown Bend. Our first stop was at Pegasus Books. It's a funky little store with a large selection of comic books, graphic novels, anime & manga, role playing games, sports cards, toys, as well as fiction and nonfiction books. It's a small store with narrow aisles and there were several people browsing, so we decided to move on. 

Our next stop was Dudley's Bookshop, which we both immediately loved. Spacious and well-lit, we wandered around perusing the shelves and displays. The second floor is large and inviting, perfect for relaxing with a stack of books and a coffee or listening to an author's reading. I enjoyed chatting with one of the booksellers about my current read, as well as Rod's upcoming book release. We already had our fill of coffee and danish, but we'll be sure to sample their treats next time we're in town. 



My kind of bookstore!
I would apply for a job if I lived closer.





We wandered around town and started to think about getting lunch. Bend Brewing Co. looked promising, especially with their large outdoor patio overlooking a grassy picnic area and Mirror Pond. A Steely Dan tribute band was performing, and we got to listen as we enjoyed our beers & lunch.






Rod had the Korean pork belly bowl, and I had a f
abulous chicken caprese sandwich with the most delicious peach and tomato chutney. I know where I want to get lunch next time we're in town!




As we walked back to the RV, we spotted this pretty little garden. The irises were stunning. It was a fun outing and we're already looking forward to another visit to Bend.

16 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post! My husband went to Bend probably a decade ago to look at medical imaging equipment and said I'd love it there. Judging from your photos, he's right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! You would love Bend. We were only there one day, but I'm hoping we can spend another full day there at the end of September, on our way back home from our trip to Montana. It's not as small as Sisters (which we could easily walk in half a day), but I'd really like to do more exploring (and go back for another delicious sandwich at the brew pub!). Hope you get a chance to visit it someday. We could meet up! :)

      Delete
  2. What wonderful pictures and fun happenings while you are RV-ing. I envy the 64 degree temps and it's been humid and in low 90s for over a week here but, Wednesday it goes to 80 for several days so we shall enjoy. Take care Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it was a fun visit to Bend and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. It's quite a bit hotter right now (in the 80s), but when we were there in May, it was lovely. We're in SoCal right now and luckily, it's not too hot. Mid-70s.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures from Bend and also a peek at the bookstores. We vacationed in Bend when we were living in Oregon in the '90's. Guess it might have been 1996 or so. We haven't been back since though we keep saying we'll get over there again one day. I love the painted staircase you showed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a great bookstore, Kay?! I love the painted stairs, too. I wonder if a local artist did them or if somehow they're available for store to purchase. They look so much like the actual spine art for the books. I hope you get to Bend again someday! It's about a five hour drive from Bandon. :)

      Delete
  4. Bend looks wonderful and I love the photos of the bookshop, especially the staircase with books on each step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I don't remember where it was, but I've seen a bookstore with similar stairs. It's a great idea! You would love Bend. Add it to your travel list!

      Delete
  5. Great post. Lovely bookstores. Now how far is Bend from your cove? I've always wanted to go to Bend ... and I just looked up it's about 13 hrs and 40 mins from where we are. But someday we'll do a road trip there. Looks outdoorsy and groovy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Bend IS a groovy town! That's a perfect way to describe it, although I guess now people would say "hip." I prefer "groovy." Bend is just under four hours from Depoe Bay. We will return at the end of September on our way home from Montana and I can't wait. I'm already thinking about that sandwich at the brew pub. :) You'll have to try to get down that way sometime. Let me know and maybe we can meet up!

      Delete
  6. I wish I was there right now - 65, sunny, spicy mocha and a bookstore? What more could you want?! Looks like such a fabulous time and thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, you probably don't want to be there right now! It's going to be 80 there today. This post is from our trip in late May. But, yes. Mild temps, sunshine, delicious coffee and a charming bookstore check all the boxes for a great visit!

      Delete
  7. We stayed in a cabin at Bend when we visited Oregon in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I hope you can return someday!

      Delete
  8. Sadly, we did not visit the bookstore, but I will definitely go there when we return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, all the more reason to return! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!