August 12, 2022

Looking Back - The Long Goodbye

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Fiction
1953 First Vintage Crime
Finished on May 8, 2001
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Down-and-out drunk Terry Lennox has a problem: his millionaire wife is dead and he needs to get out of LA fast. So he turns to the only friend he can trust: private investigator Philip Marlowe. Marlowe is willing to help a man down on his luck, but later Lennox commits suicide in Mexico and things start to turn nasty. Marlowe is drawn into a sordid crowd of adulterers and alcoholics in LA's Idle Valley, where the rich are suffering one big suntanned hangover. Marlowe is sure Lennox didn't kill his wife, but how many stiffs will turn up before he gets to the truth?

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Easy to get into. Can picture it as an old black & white movie with Bogart. Classic murder mystery. Complicated story. Lots of cops & bad guys. Hard to tell who's honest. Got boring after a while. Wouldn't have finished if it weren't a book group choice (or a classic). 

My Current Thoughts:

I don't remember anything about this book and never went on to try any others by Chandler.

4 comments:

  1. It's funny that in your original thoughts you said you could picture an old black and white movie, I did the same as soon as I saw the name of the book :) Guess I'll pass since it got boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I'm not really into noir fiction.

      Delete
  2. As much as I love detective fiction, I've not tried of any of his writing. Not sure he's high up on my list of TBR authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm pretty sure I won't read more by Chandler. Not my cuppa.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!