September 2, 2022

Looking Back - The Bonesetter's Daughter

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
Fiction
2001 G.P. Putnam's Sons
Finished on June 5, 2001
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Ruth Young and her widowed mother, LuLing, have always had a tumultuous relationship. Now, before she succumbs to forgetfulness, LuLing gives Ruth some of her writings, which reveal a side of LuLing that Ruth has never known. . . .

In a remote mountain village where ghosts and tradition rule, LuLing grows up in the care of her mute Precious Auntie as the family endures a curse laid upon a relative known as the bonesetter. When headstrong LuLing rejects the marriage proposal of the coffinmaker, a shocking series of events are set in motion–all of which lead back to Ruth and LuLing in modern San Francisco. The truth that Ruth learns from her mother’s past will forever change her perception of family, love, and forgiveness.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Book group selection. Having read all of Tan's previous works, I was excited to get her latest and bought it the day it was released. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. There was nothing about the story that grabbed my attention. I put it down after reading 1/3 and wasn't anxious to resume reading. I eventually finished the book, but thought it lacked Tan's wonderful prose. 

My Current Thoughts:

I'm surprised I gave this a "good" rating. Based on my initial thoughts, I would now drop it down to 2/5 stars.  

6 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorites back in the day it was released. I actually read it twice. It clearly put Lisa See on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I enjoyed previous works by Amy Tan, but I didn't feel as amazed with this one. With regard to Lisa See, I've only read one of her books.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed so many of Tan's novels, but never read this one. Think the mixed reviews made me wary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I still have the earlier books in my stacks and would love to reread those, but this isn't one that I care to revisit.

      Delete
  3. Sorry this was a disappointing read but I guess even favorite authors will produce a dud once in a while right? I like the sound of the plot but probably not rushing to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I loved The Kitchen God's Wife and The Joy Luck Club. Those two are worth re-reading, but this one wasn't as remarkable.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!