September 3, 2022

Olive, Again


Fiction
2019 Random House
Finished on August 30, 2022
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent)

Publisher's Blurb:

Elizabeth Strout brilliantly lays bare the inner lives of ordinary people, none more eloquently than the protagonist of her universally acclaimed Olive Kitteridge. "Gunny, wicked and remorseful, Mrs. Kitteridge is a compelling life force, a red-blooded original," declared the San Francisco Chronicle. "When she's not onstage, we look forward to her return."

And now Olive has indeed returned, as indomitable as ever, navigating her next decade and the changes--sometimes welcome, sometimes not--in her own life. Her is Olive, strangely confident in her second marriage, in an evolving relationship with her son and his family, and crossing paths with a cast of memorable characters in the seaside town of Crosby, Maine. Whether with a teenager coming to terms with the loss of her father, a young woman about to give birth at a hilariously inopportune moment, a nurse who confesses a secret high school crush, or a lawyer who struggles with an inheritance she does not want to accept, the irascible Olive improbably touches the lives of everyone around her. 

Marvelous! Was it insomnia that led me to finish this book at 1:30 in the morning or the mere fact that I couldn't put it down? After reading the final page, I kept thinking about Olive and the motley cast of characters in this follow-up to Elizabeth Strout's Pulitzer Prize winner, Olive Kitteridge. Truthfully, I had to force myself to turn off the light and not start rereading from the beginning of the book.

In 2014 I read Olive Kitteridge (giving it a second chance after previously quitting on the audiobook) in preparation to watching the four-part HBO mini-series of the same name. I not only fell in love with Strout's writing, but came to care about Olive, warts and all. 

Olive, Again is an outstanding follow-up and does not disappoint. In similar fashion to the original novel, this book is comprised of thirteen vignettes. Olive takes center stage in most chapters, but is only a passing figure in others. I especially enjoyed the presence of characters from other novels by Strout (Isabelle from Amy & Isabelle was an unexpected treat!) and I'm now inspired to go back and reread each of her books. 

Having watched Frances McDormand in the lead role of the mini-series, I had a vivid picture of Olive, laughing out loud at her caustic remarks while feeling a tug of sadness and empathy as her life grew emptier and lonelier. I felt an ache of melancholy as I turned the last page, not ready to leave Olive, with whom I felt a strong connection as she reflected upon her life as a wife and mother in her final years. Thankfully, I have copies of both books for future reading and plan to rewatch the TV drama. 

Olive, Again is a poignant glimpse into aging, while providing levity with hilarious one-liners by the irascible and blunt heroine of Olive Kitteridge. Highly recommend! 
Olive is a brilliant creation not only because of her eternal cantankerousness but because she’s as brutally candid with herself about her shortcomings as she is with others. Her honesty makes people strangely willing to confide in her, and the raw power of Ms. Strout’s writing comes from these unvarnished exchanges, in which characters reveal themselves in all of their sadness and badness and confusion. . . . The great, terrible mess of living is spilled out across the pages of this moving book. Ms. Strout may not have any answers for it, but she isn’t afraid of it either.The Wall Street Journal

18 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the first book; now you make me think about reading the sequel.

    best. . . mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I honestly think the sequel is better than the original book. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I found Olive to be completely realistic. Olive Kitteridge was a book I immediately put on my favorites list. I generally don't like sequels, but Olive, Again was the exception...perfect, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it really is a perfect book, isn't it? I'm tempted to start reading it again. Maybe I'll download the audio...

      Delete
  3. I LOVED everything about Olive in both books, she was so real. What your see (read) is what you get. I liked both books but Olive, Again (audio is stellar) is one I had to buy after borrowing. I'm now feeling about the same love for Lucy in Strout's latest series - all caught up and missing her already. I may have to start over in 2023:) Great review Les and so happy you loved this so much. BTW: That miniseries was awesome and Frances MCD was perfect for role of Olive. (May be time to watch that agin.) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, she really is one of the most realistic characters I've encountered. I'm glad to hear that the audio is well done, as I plan to download it for a future "re-read." I wasn't as impressed with My Name is Lucy Barton, but will give the others in that series a chance.

      Delete
  4. This book on aging sounds so good and well written. I'll have to get back to Elizabeth Strout's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, it's such a good book. Do give it a try!

      Delete
  5. I liked reading the first Olive book, but didn't love it enough to pick up the second, though most bloggers I know have totally enjoyed book two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, if you haven't watched the mini-series, I recommend it, followed up with this sequel. I gained a greater appreciation for the character once I saw McDormand portraying Olive in the series.

      Delete
  6. I've had this book on my list to read since I found out it was coming out. As usual with books I got sidetracked. Glad to know you liked it. I need to listen to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I hear the audio is excellent. I plan to listen for a re-read.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely loved this one, too, and also remember being delighted when Isabelle made an appearance! It's always a treat to read an Elizabeth Strout novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how much you loved this book, JoAnn, and I'm glad it was a winner for me, too. I especially loved the final chapters and was relieved that Olive was there to the final page.

      Delete
  8. I loved Olive Kitteridge and have been looking forward to this book but I don't want to be disappointed! So happy to hear you loved it. I haven't watched the series but I can totally picture Frances McDormand as Olive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'd be surprised if you didn't love this book even more than Olive Kitteridge. I sure did. Do give the mini-series a watch when you get a chance. It's excellent!

      Delete
  9. I liked Olive Again a lot too. I both read it and then listened to it on audio. Some of the people in Olive's town have dark stories which surprised me how dark it was in this book .... but I liked her husband and Olive .... I thought she had softened just a tad from book 1. I have never seen the series but I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I would love to listen to both books on audio, especially now that I feel like I know and understand Olive. ;)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!