October 18, 2022

Sailing by Starlight

This arrived last night! 



In two weeks, Rod's latest book will be released! I am so proud of him, and very excited about this new book, which is available for pre-order here and here.

Publisher's Blurb:

Sailing by Starlight is the story of the adventure of a lifetime—in fact, of many lifetimes. In the early 1980s, retired geography professor Marvin Creamer set out to do what hadn’t been done for a thousand years—if indeed it had ever been done at all: Marv and his crew boarded a 35’ sailboat named Globe Star and set out into the frigid Atlantic, planning to sail around the world without the use of any instruments. There was no sextant aboard. No compass. No chart-plotter. No GPS. No radar. Not even a stopwatch. Creamer wanted to prove to the world that it was possible for ancient mariners to have crossed the largest seas, perhaps even sailed around the world, using only their brains, their experience, their sense, and their courage. In attempting to prove his point, Creamer would push his boat and his crew to the limit—and occasionally beyond.
Travel with Creamer as Globe Star sails around the perilous Horn, across the dangerous and tumultuous Tasman Sea, and into an active war zone. Sail around the world with a man who was taken prisoner by an idea, a man obsessed with proving a point, and who would let neither 40-foot waves nor fractious crewmembers deter him.

21 comments:

  1. So exciting! Congratulations, Rod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! It's fun to read the final bound edition after all these months.

      Delete
  2. Whoa it's here. Beautiful cover & book!! Yay, congrats to you two. I plan to order one for my husband Robert ... who's a big fan of sailing. We went on 2 week long sails on a 35' boat just the two of us (around 2012) ... so that was an experience. How many were on Creamer's crew? I'm just wondering the space on the boat. Sounds like a wild adventure ... and just the tale we like to read about. I read the book about Crowhurst .... and it was unreal. Way to go Rod. Happy publication day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous cover, isn't it Susan? I hope you and Robert enjoy it. Marv had 1-2 crew members on the boat. 35' isn't very big, is it?! Especially on the wide open oceans. Not my cuppa tea, thankyouverymuch!

      Delete
    2. Yeah on the high seas ... 35' would be a dot on the ocean. It's a beautiful cover!

      Delete
  3. CONGRATS TO ROD!!! So happy for both of you and that cover is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane!! I love the cover, too.

      Delete
  4. How exciting, congratulations to Rod and to you! I love the cover and it sounds like good too. We never sailed but when my husband was alive we always had a pontoon boat and I loved going out on the water! I'll look for a copy to read in '23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki. We're very excited. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:01 PM

    What an fascinating topic to research. Congratulations to Rod for the completion and publishing of Sailing by Starlight! Such a beautiful book cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great story, and yes, a beautiful cover, too!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! How exciting to see a box of books in your house written by Rod. I hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. This is his fourth book, but it's still very exciting!!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, Rod! I’m looking forward to reading it (preordered it!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! We hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. I know you are so proud of your husband. The book has a great cover and title and the story sounds compelling. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. Of course, I'm biased, but I'm reading the final edition and am thoroughly enjoying it!

      Delete
  9. That is so great! I shared your post with my husband and we want to read it. Lovely cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for spreading the word to your husband, Tina! I hope you both enjoy it as much as I am.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful! Tell Rod congrats coming to him from Central Texas. I'm so glad that it's out and, like other, think the cover is great. Know you are so proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. I'll pass your good wishes on to Rod! I'm hoping to share a review later next week. I thought it was a wonderful book!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!