November 5, 2022

A Month in Summary - October 2022

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
October 2022

We got rain! That probably sounds strange to those who think it always rains in the PNW, but we haven't had any significant rainfall since early June. Of course, now it will probably rain until next June, but as long as we get some sunshine here and there, I won't complain. It beats ice and snow!

Well, October turned out to be quite the eventful month. I'm surprised that I managed to finish one, let alone four books. One week after returning home from our big adventure to Glacier National Park, my husband wound up in the hospital after suffering a heart attack. Two stents later, he was home within 48 hours. We are very grateful to the first responders and medical team in the E.R. and cath lab, and are especially thankful we were not on the road, out of cellphone range! The other excitement (which was much more pleasant than his medical scare) was the arrival of a case-pack of Rod's latest book, Sailing by Starlight. (You can read my review here.) In spite of all the excitement, I finished the following books. 



Books Read (click on the title for my review):

The Fortnight in September by R.C. Sherriff (2/5)

Book Lovers by Emily Henry (3/5)

Sailing by Starlight by Rod Scher (4.5/5)

To Dwell in Darkness by Deborah Crombie (4/5)


Movies & TV Series:


Guilt (Season Two) - Entertaining, but not as good as the first season. 


Mr. Harrigan's Phone - Based on the Stephen King short story of the same name. Good, but not great. The short story was better.


Five Days at Memorial - The first five episodes were very intense. The following episodes were ok, but not as impactful. I'm now interested in reading the book.


Van der Valk (Season 2) - We really enjoyed this second season!


Hinterland (Season 1 & 2) - I'm adding this show to my favorites list. It's marvelous!



MLB Playoffs - We were rooting for the Dodgers, but after they lost, we switched to the Padres. Now that the World Series has begun, we're rooting for the Phillies.

Other News:

Anatomy Lesson

Looking good and happy to be out of the hospital!


So proud of this man!

Puzzlemania:

Catskill Moon by Jack Stuppin



While visiting my aunt this past summer, I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Stuppin, who was attending my uncle's memorial. My aunt surprised me with an autographed puzzle of one of Jack's beautiful paintings. Isn't it gorgeous? I love the vibrant colors! Click here to learn more about this amazing artist; I especially enjoyed the two videos on the website.

Hope you all have a good month. Don't forget to VOTE!

16 comments:

  1. Just. Wow! You have quite an update. First of all I'm happy to read Rod made it through surgery and all is well now. That must have been scary. Congrats on his book :-)

    The puzzles look phenomenal and I am working on one right now with 50 seed packet images. It's hard! I will look for that Catskill Moon, that looks like a great puzzle and cool you met the artist.
    The series!!!! I wish we could watch it. I am a Philly girl and have always rooted for the Phillies, thick or thin. Doug and I used to plan our vacation around the series and watch it while renting condo at St George Island. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It was a scary day for me and Rod, but he's doing great. The "surgery" was pretty amazing. He was awake for the whole thing, and said there wasn't any pain. Unbelievable! Oooh, I bet your puzzle is fun. I hope your Phillies win tonight. Bummer that you can't watch it. It really should be available to everyone. :( Rod and I have listened to numerous games while camping in the RV. I haven't used it in a while, but when I did, I had the TuneIn app. Maybe you can listen to tonight's game!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that Rod had a heart attack, but happy to hear he is out of hospital and feeling better. It's amazing what medicine can do for us! I hope he continues to improve and feels back to his normal self soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. He's feeling much better. Yes, the treatment for this is truly amazing.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry that your husband had a heart attack, but I'm glad the emergency medical team was able to get to work on him quickly and get the stints in place. My friend Karen felt weak back in April and, though her husband thought she was over reacting, went to the ER. They checked her in and immediately did surgery on her. They couldn't believe how blocked her arteries were.

    Everyone around here is pretty happy about the way the World Series turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. He is doing really well...going to cardio rehab twice a week, getting outside to walk, etc. I'm glad your friend went to the ER. Heart issues in women are often ignored, so she was wise to get help.

      Delete
  4. Your recent life is amazingly eventful. It's good to hear that your husband came through such a terrible health emergency!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an eventful month, Mae. We are so thankful for those first responders!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness!! I am so glad to hear that your husband is ok!

    And does he have a published book? It looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. I was pretty scary for us!

      And, yes. His book was released on November 1st. I blogged about it here: https://lesleysbooknook.blogspot.com/2022/10/sailing-by-starlight_0369545438.html

      Delete
  6. Wow what a pretty puzzle! Glad to see Rod is on his road to recovery. I hope he is doing well and feeling better. I have his book on the way from Amazon. We will study it when it arrives. Look forward to reading. We both loved the series Five Days at Memorial - so impressively made. Intense for sure. I will check to see what Hinterland is about. Right now we're trying Shantaram on Apple+. Too early to tell what we think yet. And I'm so glad to see RAIN ... wow my brother even said it was raining in Pasadena. Thank goodness!! Things have been really busy here - we are getting ready to move Dec. 14 ... and I'm headed to Calif for a week at Thanksgiving ... sort of need that. talk later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a gorgeous puzzle, Susan? I loved putting it together. Rod is doing great; eating well and going to cardio rehab a few times a week. Yeah, I guess SoCal got quite a rainstorm the other day. Hope they continue to get more throughout the winter months. So you're all set to move in a month, eh? I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in CA before the big move. Safe travels!

      Delete
  7. I am glad Rod is doing well and just in time for his book launch! So exciting.
    My club read Five Days at Memorial long ago but man, it was a good discussion. So much wrong took place in such a short amount of time, Who puts generators in the basement of a flood zone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ti. Rod's doing very well and yes, just in time for his book launch. Phew!

      Five Days at Memorial would be a great book to discuss with a book group. Such a tragedy!

      Delete
  8. How crazy was October for you! So glad to hear that Rod did so well with his procedure and is doing so well! I can only imagine how scary that was and thank goodness for great medical personnel. I hope November has been a much better month for you guys. I'm so sorry I've been MIA from the blog, answering comments, etc. It's been an exhausting year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, yeah it was a crazy month. November was super busy, but not nearly as intense as October! You've had quite a year, too. Maybe 2023 will be more gentle with you. xo

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!