November 4, 2022

Looking Back - The Brethren

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


The Brethren by John Grisham
Fiction
2000 Doubleday
Finished on July 6, 2001
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

They call themselves the Brethren: three disgraced former judges doing time in a Florida federal prison. One was sent up for tax evasion. Another, for skimming bingo profits. The third for a career-ending drunken joyride.

Meeting daily in the prison law library, taking exercise walks in their boxer shorts, these judges-turned-felons can reminisce about old court cases, dispense a little jailhouse justice, and contemplate where their lives went wrong. Or they can use their time in prison to get very rich—very fast. ...

My Original Thoughts (2001):

It took me quite a while to get interested, but I eventually did. Perhaps I struggled because I took the book to our family reunion and only read a little at a time. The book became more suspenseful after a hundred pages or so, and a big part of the plot was a huge surprise. Typical Grisham thriller that reads like a Hollywood screenplay. Anticlimactic ending, though. Mindless entertainment.

My Current Thoughts:

I really enjoyed Grisham's books, back in the day, but this one doesn't sound like one that I'd like to read again.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy Grisham's books, too, and have one on my shelf right now. I think it's the latest. One of my favorites of his is Grey Mountain, the one about coal mining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I've heard good things about Grey Mountain and will have to give it a try, one of these days...

      Delete
  2. Grishman is an author I've tried to read and I have read about three books but I guess I'm just not really into legal thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I no longer read his books, but I sure read a lot of them back in the day.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!