January 20, 2023

Looking Back - Girl with A Pearl Earring

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Fiction
2001 Penguin Books (first published in 1999)
Finished on July 31, 2001
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

With precisely 35 canvases to his credit, the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer represents one of the great enigmas of 17th-century art. The meager facts of his biography have been gleaned from a handful of legal documents. Yet Vermeer's extraordinary paintings of domestic life, with their subtle play of light and texture, have come to define the Dutch golden age. His portrait of the anonymous Girl with a Pearl Earring has exerted a particular fascination for centuries—and it is this magnetic painting that lies at the heart of Tracy Chevalier's second novel of the same title.

Girl with a Pearl Earring centers on Vermeer's prosperous Delft household during the 1660s. When Griet, the novel's quietly perceptive heroine, is hired as a servant, turmoil follows. First, the 16-year-old narrator becomes increasingly intimate with her master. Then Vermeer employs her as his assistant—and ultimately has Griet sit for him as a model.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Historical fiction. Very readable. Engrossing! Sexual tension. Emotionally charged. Wonderful characterization. I read it with an article full of Vermeer's paintings beside me. Very enlightening about the actual thought process of a painter and the mechanics involved in painting. Would read again.

My Current Thoughts: 

I don't know if I read it a second time, nor do I remember if I watched the movie. 

12 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of this author and remember liking this book. I also liked her books Falling Angels and The Lady and the Unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I loved Falling Angels and still own a copy, ever hopeful to read it again! I've not read The Lady and the Unicorn, but I'll see if my library has a copy. Someday.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:33 AM

    I thought this was a fantastic book. I have read it twice, once in 2001, and then later in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this comment is from you, Deb? Came through twice. :)

      Delete
  3. I remember enjoying this book very much. I have read it twice, once in 2001 and once in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it's certainly worthy of a re-read, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I recently visited the Mauritshaus museum in the Haague, Holland, where the original painting hangs, and along with the other people on our trip, I found it lovely to see the actual work of art that features in this famous book. I think there have been quite a few imitators since it was published.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, how wonderful for you to not only visit the museum, but to see this lovely work of art. I am very fond of Vermeer's paintings. I used to own a print of The Little Street, but no longer have it. I love Woman in Blue Reading a Letter, as well as View of Delft.

      Delete
  5. I loved this book and the movie too! Although I can't remember if I thought the movie matched the book. Like Mae, I was also at the Mauritshaus museum several years ago and saw the painting. I had to take a picture next to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm pretty sure I saw the movie, but it's been ages! How great that you were able to visit the Mauritshaus museum. I love art museums!

      Delete
  6. As soon as I saw the title of this post, I remembered that I read this book and really liked it, but I couldn't tell you a thing about it. I think my brain is like a seive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Helen. Some of my favorite books are easy to remember at least some of the details, but you'd think I'd remember more about one to which I gave a high rating. I suppose that's one of the problems (if there are problems to be had) of reading a lot of books each year.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!