January 22, 2023

The Fixed Stars

Nonfiction - Memoir
2020 Dreamscape Media
Narrated by Erin Mallon
Finished on January 15, 2023
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

From a bestselling writer, an intense and moving memoir about changing identity, complex sexuality, and enduring family relationships.

At age 36, while serving on a jury, author Molly Wizenberg found herself drawn to a female attorney. Married to a man for nearly a decade and mother to a toddler, Wizenberg tried to return to her life as she knew it, but she felt that something inside her had changed irrevocably. Instead, she would discover that the trajectory of our lives is rarely as smooth or as logical as we’d like to believe.

Like many of us, Wizenberg had long understood sexual orientation as a stable part of ourselves: we’re “born this way.” Suddenly she realized that her story was more complicated. Who was she, she wondered, if something at her very core could change so radically? The Fixed Stars is a taut, electrifying memoir exploring timely and timeless questions about desire, identity, and the limits and possibilities of family. In honest and searing prose, Wizenberg forges a new path: through the murk of separation and divorce, coming out to family and friends, learning to co-parent a young child, and realizing a new vision of love. The result is a frank and moving story about letting go of rigid definitions and ideals that no longer fit, and learning instead who we really are.

Unlike Molly Wizenberg's previous memoirs,  A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen Table and Delancey: A Man, a Woman, a Restaurant, a Marriage (both of which I read in December 2021), The Fixed Stars is more about sexuality and identity rather than a foodie memoir filled with recipes and life as a restaurant entrepreneur. Wizenberg (whose books are articulate and highly readable) weaves her story with anecdotes from her earlier life as a wife and mother with that of her new family (also as a wife and a mother). The memoir is not simply a navel-gazing tell-all, but an honest and intimate examination of one woman's experience, interspersed with beautiful metaphors, quotes from poets & authors, and multiple references to studies on sexuality and gender. All of these not only add validity and truth to Wizenberg's experience, but also give voice to that of others in similar situations. 

So many of my favorite blogs are now defunct, including Molly's blog (Orangette), which has now been replaced with I've Got a Feeling (a Substack newsletter). I've recently subscribed and discovered that there's at least a year's worth of articles to peruse. I'm hoping that some will include recipes, which Orangette was so well known for.

I listened to the audio version of the book and Erin Mallon does an outstanding job narrating Wizenberg's story. Had I not known that Mallon was the reader, I would have bet the author was reading her own work; her honesty and emotions ring true.

Thank you Libro.fm for the complimentary copy.

“Wizenberg writes with a remarkable openness about being true to herself and to others, and gives those looking to understand the complicated issue of sexuality a compassionate example of the many forms that love takes. This honest and moving memoir will enlighten and educate those seeking to understand their true selves.” — Publishers Weekly

8 comments:

  1. I certainly loved her previous books, the foodie ones, but reading an excerpt from this one didn't grab me. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it was quite enlightening. Wizenberg is a talented writer and I would love for her to branch out and write a novel, now that she's written three memoirs.

      Delete
  2. I'm taking a memoir-writing class this year, and my plan is to finish up, to finalize somehow, a memoir I've been working on for forty-plus years. I'm actively looking for memoirs to read in the hope that these will inspire me to finish this thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Deb! I don't know which memoirs you've already read (would love to add more to my TBR list), but I just checked my Goodreads list and I've read 74! It's one of my favorite genres. :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting that this woman has already written 3 memoirs! She's got lots to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I know! And she's fairly young, which is a bit odd for three memoirs. I enjoyed her first book the best.

      Delete
  4. That must have been quite a shift in everything she ever knew and believed. I am glad she is able to share her story. I imagine it will benefit those who have gone through similar experiences as well as others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I think the author struggled with the emotional turmoil her new awareness presented not only to herself, but to her husband and young daughter. It couldn't have been easy to suddenly realize, at that particular time in her life, that she hadn't been living her true life. I follow another woman on Instagram who pretty much went through a similar experience, so I guess it's not all that uncommon.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!