February 25, 2023

A Killing of Innocents

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #19
Mystery
2023 William Morrow & Company
Finished on February 23, 2023
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:
 
New York Times bestseller Deborah Crombie returns with a new novel focusing on Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James as they must solve the stabbing death of a young woman before panic spreads across London.

On a rainy November evening, a young woman hurries through the crowd in London’s historic Russell Square. Out of the darkness, someone jostles her, then brushes past. A moment later, she stumbles, collapsing against a tree. When a young mother finds her body and alerts the police, Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant, Doug Cullen, are called to the scene. The victim, Sasha Johnson, is a trainee doctor at a nearby hospital, and she’s been stabbed.

Kincaid immediately calls his detective wife, Gemma James, who has recently been assigned to a task force on knife crime. Along with her partner, detective sergeant Melody Talbot, Gemma joins the investigation. But Sasha Johnson doesn’t fit the profile of the typical knife crime victim. Single, successful, daughter of a black professional family, she has no history of abusive relationships or any connection to gangs. She had her secrets, though, and Kincaid uncovers an awkward connection to his Notting Hill friends Wesley and Betty Howard.

As the detectives unravel Sasha’s tangled relationships, another stabbing puts London in a panic, and Kincaid’s team needs all their resources to find the killer stalking the dark streets of Bloomsbury.

I have spent the past two years reading close to one installment a month from Deborah Crombie's Kincaid/James mystery series. Earlier this month I read A Bitter Feast, finishing that book on the publication date of A Killing of Innocents, Crombie's most recent release. I didn't wait long to pick up this final installment, and now, just like that, I'm all caught up! I enjoyed this London-based mystery very much, unable to unravel that final thread until the very end when the detectives made their arrest. While not a thriller as such, A Killing of Innocents is a solid mystery. Crombie continues to develop her characters (and their relationships with one another), and the mysteries are intricate and well-plotted. I couldn't turn the pages quickly enough. 

I'm happy that I've finally made it through the entire series, but sad that I'll have to wait for the next installment. Meanwhile, could somebody please write a screenplay for the books for either PBS, Britbox or Acorn? I'm sure Crombie's fanbase would be happy to support a TV series. I certainly would!

10 comments:

  1. I am adding this one to my TBR list as it sounds really good. And, I agree, that these books sound like they be the perfect BBC or Acorn series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I can't remember if you've read any of these or not. You might discover some spoilers if you read this before the others in the series, but maybe that doesn't matter to you. This one will probably get you hooked on Crombie's books.

      Delete
  2. I am quite surprised that the series isn't already out as a TV series. It seems widely popular and the visual so what's the holdup? I think we might be waiting for your expertise on the books to be the new screenwriter ! LOL go for it. I think such a series would be excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it would be a wonderful series, if only for the setting. Of course, I love the main characters, too. :) Lol. Yeah, I'm not much of a writer, so I'll leave the screenwriting to the pros.

      Delete
  3. I bet someone is working on a Crombie TV series right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish you were right, Deb!

      Delete
  4. I don't know. After seeing some other favorite series of mine translated to TV adaptations, I might be a little hesitant to add this one. I'm trying to remember if I've heard whether the author has ever been interested in that. I have an author event to listen to in upcoming days - she appeared at the Poisoned Pen in Arizona. I bet that is a question that will be asked of her. Glad you liked it, Les! And, yes, this author writes a little slowly - might be a while for the next. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, we've been watching Vera (and watched all of Shetland), but I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure if they accurate or not. Of course, Three Pines isn't, but I knew it would be impossible for anyone to imagine the setting and characters as I had. I know I can count on you to let me know if you hear anything about Crombie's books. :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed her earlier books but have not caught up. I found her mysteries to be in the old style of mystery writing but am glad she is developing her characters more and adding more plot twists, etc.

    https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, I made a point to read one book in the series every month. It was nice to revisit the characters, and any details from a previous book were still fresh in my mind as I began the next installment.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!