February 21, 2023

The Measure

Fiction
2022 William Morrow
Finished on February 16, 2023
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Eight ordinary people. One extraordinary choice.

It seems like any other day. You wake up, pour a cup of coffee, and head out.

But today, when you open your front door, waiting for you is a small wooden box. This box holds your fate inside: the answer to the exact number of years you will live.

From suburban doorsteps to desert tents, every person on every continent receives the same box. In an instant, the world is thrust into a collective frenzy. Where did these boxes come from? What do they mean? Is there truth to what they promise?

As society comes together and pulls apart, everyone faces the same shocking choice: Do they wish to know how long they’ll live? And, if so, what will they do with that knowledge?

The Measure charts the dawn of this new world through an unforgettable cast of characters whose decisions and fates interweave with one another: best friends whose dreams are forever entwined, pen pals finding refuge in the unknown, a couple who thought they didn’t have to rush, a doctor who cannot save himself, and a politician whose box becomes the powder keg that ultimately changes everything.

I loved the premise of this book, and when I first started reading, I thought I was in for another 5-star read. It's the type of story that's unique and inventive, and I could quickly see why it wound up on so many readers' "Best of 2022" lists. And yet, as I got further into the novel, it began to fizzle out. The characters are fairly one-dimensional and the plot lacks tension. I kept wondering if there would be a big reveal about the origin of the strings, or if there would be a sudden turning point in the manner in which lives were predicted as the years progressed. However, as the end of the book drew near, the narrative remained predictable and dull. I didn't mind the thinly veiled (albeit negative) nod to Trump, and the parallels to the Covid pandemic were subtle and not overwrought, but there was too much telling and not enough showing

With that said, it is a thought-provoking concept that would make for good dinner conversation fodder. Would you or wouldn't you open your box to see how much longer you had to live? Would you tell your partner? Your boss? Your parents? Fans of The Midnight Library (Matt Haig) might enjoy this one. As for me, I look forward to Erlick's next endeavor, as she has potential.

12 comments:

  1. Would I want to know? That's a hard question, I'd have to take some time and think about it. Would you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it is a difficult question, isn't it? I don't think I'd want to know.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to hear your thoughts on this one, Les. I own it, but haven't started it as yet. I think that the whole 'open the box and see how long' thing was what caused me to get it. And I think it might have been 'on sale' as a Kindle book. Anyway, I'll get around to it at some point. I agree that the topic might be good dinner conversation - or maybe not depending - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'll be interested to read your review once you've had a chance to read the book. I'm going to bring up the question about the box & string with my mah jong buddies and see what they would do. Personally, I don't think I'd want to open the box.

      Delete
  3. I've thought quit a bit about this question but still don't have a good answer. What if it's too soon? Long and painful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I prefer not to know in advance. Just like I wouldn't want to know the sex of my baby (which I didn't) before she's born. Or open Christmas presents before the 25th. :)

      Delete
  4. I think this might be a book I'd classify as a book with a fascinating premise but which didn't develop as deeply as one might hope for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, exactly! I kept thinking that I would have prefered that it was written by Blake Crouch (Dark Matter).

      Delete
  5. I saw your review on GR. I guess I'm not too tempted to read it - but it is thought-provoking a concept. I think I'd be wanting to know how much longer - so I could try to improve my chances of altering the outcome (even if that were not possible). You would keeping wishing you could - even if you couldn't. But I think it'd be quite grim knowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, as I mentioned to Deb, I think someone like Blake Crouch could have handled this subject a little better. Yes, it would be terribly grim knowing, unless you had a very long string. But then, what if you did and your partner had a very short string? Or your child? Ugh.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I got very far with The Midnight Library, so maybe I'll give this a pass. My NY book club is reading it next month. I'm still on the email list and will be curious to hear about their reactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, let me know how they like it, if you don't mind. It's certainly thought-provoking, but I wanted more depth to the storyline.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!