February 19, 2023

Remarkably Bright Creatures

Fiction
2022 HarperAudio
Narrated by Marin Ireland & Michael Urie
Finished on February 15, 2023
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

For fans of A Man Called Ove, a charming, witty and compulsively readable exploration of friendship, reckoning, and hope, tracing a widow's unlikely connection with a giant Pacific octopus.

After Tova Sullivan's husband died, she began working the night shift at the Sowell Bay Aquarium, mopping floors and tidying up. Keeping busy has always helped her cope, which she's been doing since her eighteen-year-old son, Erik, mysteriously vanished on a boat in Puget Sound over thirty years ago.

Tova becomes acquainted with curmudgeonly Marcellus, a giant Pacific octopus living at the aquarium. Marcellus knows more than anyone can imagine but wouldn't dream of lifting one of his eight arms for his human captors--until he forms a remarkable friendship with Tova.

Ever the detective, Marcellus deduces what happened the night Tova's son disappeared. And now Marcellus must use every trick his old invertebrate body can muster to unearth the truth for her before it's too late.

Shelby Van Pelt's debut novel is a gentle reminder that sometimes taking a hard look at the past can help uncover a future that once felt impossible.

After reading several glowing reviews by friends and bloggers, I had high hopes for Remarkably Bright Creatures, but unfortunately, this debut novel turned out to be somewhat disappointing. I don't have a problem with suspension of disbelief, but the novel's predictability coupled with several coincidences reduced what could have been a more substantial and thought-provoking story to a sweet beach read. Grief and abandonment are central themes, and in this case, the author handles both well without being manipulative, but her characters lack the depth for which I was hoping. In particular, I couldn't accept Cameron's age to be anywhere near thirty; his immature behavior and inner thoughts cast him more as an irresponsible and sulky teenager.

On a positive note, the audio narration is excellent. Marin Ireland is a favorite, and Michael Urie gives an outstanding performance as Marcellus. I would have liked more chapters centered around Tova and Marcellus, the two characters I cared most about. 

I enjoy reading about octopuses, and recommend The Soul of An Octopus for those seeking more about the intellect of these marvelous sea creatures.



For those seeking a light, yet uplifting story, Remarkably Bright Creatures would make a fine choice.

12 comments:

  1. A couple friends were disappointed by this one, too, as they thought A Man Called Ove was so much better. I haven't read that one and just enjoyed Remarkably Bright Creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I really don't see the comparison to A Man Called Ove (which, I agree, was so much better).

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I know 30 year olds who are sulky as teenagers, lol. I like the octopus though.

    https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, I know one or two 60+ year olds who are like this, too...

      Delete
  3. This is on my list. I hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it, Vicki! I loved Marcellus.

      Delete
  4. Yay! not that it wasn't quite as good as you had hoped but that you brought it to my attention again. I really enjoyed it and likely needed exactly what you describe "light and uplifting" -- in fact, I just had a friend ask for something like this and NOW I can say YES, read this. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care, I'm glad I helped to remind you of this book. :) I need to make a list of "feel good/uplifting books" for when my friends ask me for recommendations. This one works!

      Delete
  5. I started and stopped this book twice before I finally decided to plow ahead and read it. You are right---the coincidences that bring the characters into each others' lives are not really realistic, but I think I was wanting things to work out---they never do in real life---this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I wanted things to work out, too. I was just hoping for a little more substance to the writing. I plan to add it to my new list of "feel good/uplifting books," though.

      Delete
  6. Cool octopus pics! I too was not as enamored with this novel the way others were. And the Cameron character drove me pretty nuts. There seemed to be plot & characters stretches & coincidences that were too much. I just reread my review from August. I liked the octopus parts and the friendship aspect. But the script needed tightening. LoL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I took those photos at Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport a few years ago. This was before I had read The Soul of An Octopus and I really should go back and pay the octopus a visit! They are so cool. Glad to know I'm not the only one who was disappointed with some aspects of the book.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!