February 10, 2023

Looking Back - Blue Diary

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Fiction
2001 G. P. Putnam's Sons
Finished on September 10, 2001
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

The courage to face the unthinkable is at the core of this magnificent new novel. How do we manage to confront the truths in our lives and find forgiveness in the most unforgiving of circumstances? How do we love truly and deeply in a world that is as brutal as it is beautiful?

When Ethan Ford fails to show up for work on a brilliant summer morning, none of his neighbors would guess that for more than thirteen years, he has been running from his past. His true nature has been locked away, as hidden as his real identity. But sometimes locks spring open, and the devastating truths of Ethan Ford's history shatter the small-town peace of Monroe, affecting family and friends alike.

This deeply felt and compelling novel makes it clear why Alice Hoffman has been called "one of the best writers we have today" (Cleveland Plain Dealer). Honest, shattering, seductive, and ultimately healing, Blue Diary is an unforgettable novel by a writer who tells "truths powerful enough to break a reader's heart" (Time).

My Original Thoughts (2001):

A good read, but not great. Turtle Moon is far better, but this was entertaining. Not a page-turner or touching. Fluff. Easily forgettable characters.

My Current Thoughts:

I sure don't remember anything about this novel. It doesn't appeal to me now, either. 

8 comments:

  1. I have a friend who loves Alice Hoffman. The only book of Hoffman's that I have read is Turtle Moon. I thought it was good, but I never wanted to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, looking back thru my blog, I found four novels by Hoffman that I've read. None were outstanding, and I don't feel compelled to read more by her. Turtle Moon was good, as I recall.

      Delete
  2. I've only read one book by Hoffman which was Faithful. I loved it so I don't know why I never read more by her. I'll try to do that this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I haven't read Faithful, but it sounds interesting. I'm not a huge fan of Hoffman's, but she has quite a following from what I can see on Goodreads!

      Delete
  3. Too bad the book didn't grab you. I find a lot of books interesting while I read them, but also forgettable.

    I love the picture on your blog. Just got back from the Tampa Bay area and miss the ocean, the beach, and the views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for mentioning my header, Harvee. I know I've used similar photos for my blog, but I can't get enough of the views from our neighborhood! We are so fortunate to live here!

      Delete
  4. I feel like Alice Hoffman is an author I should read, but I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, she's hit-or-miss for me. I would start with a loan from the library, if you really want to read her.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!