February 15, 2023

These Precious Days

 

Nonfiction - Essays
2021 Harper
Finished on February 14, 2023
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent)

Note to Reader: No, you are not imagining things. I already posted a review for this book (click here to read) in November. I decided to read it again for my upcoming book group discussion. 

Publisher's Blurb:

“Any story that starts will also end.” As a writer, Ann Patchett knows what the outcome of her fiction will be. Life, however, often takes turns we do not see coming. Patchett ponders this truth in these wise essays that afford a fresh and intimate look into her mind and heart.

At the center of These Precious Days is the title essay, a suprising and moving meditation on an unexpected friendship that explores “what it means to be seen, to find someone with whom you can be your best and most complete self.” When Patchett chose an early galley of actor and producer Tom Hanks’ short story collection to read one night before bed, she had no idea that this single choice would be life changing. It would introduce her to a remarkable woman—Tom’s brilliant assistant Sooki—with whom she would form a profound bond that held monumental consequences for them both.

A literary alchemist, Patchett plumbs the depths of her experiences to create gold: engaging and moving pieces that are both self-portrait and landscape, each vibrant with emotion and rich in insight. Turning her writer’s eye on her own experiences, she transforms the private into the universal, providing us all a way to look at our own worlds anew, and reminds how fleeting and enigmatic life can be.

From the enchantments of Kate DiCamillo’s children’s books to youthful memories of Paris; the cherished life gifts given by her three fathers to the unexpected influence of Charles Schultz’s Snoopy; the expansive vision of Eudora Welty to the importance of knitting, Patchett connects life and art as she illuminates what matters most. Infused with the author’s grace, wit, and warmth, the pieces in These Precious Days resonate deep in the soul, leaving an indelible mark—and demonstrate why Ann Patchett is one of the most celebrated writers of our time.

You know that feeling when you meet someone for the first time and think to yourself, "Wow. I really like her. We have so much in common. I hope I get another chance to spend more time with her!" Well, that's exactly how I felt after reading These Precious Days, and when I finished reading it for the second time this morning, my feelings hadn't changed. This is a gem of a book! I still haven't taken the time to sit down and write a fan letter to the author (can I just call her Ann?), but I plan to. Until then, I can gush about the book on Thursday with my book group. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.

In response to an Instagram comment, I had another thought that I'd like to share here: That initial experience when reading a book (or meeting a kindred spirit) is often overshadowed by the flush of excitement to have all of one's questions answered. The second visit is more calm and allows for a discovery of hidden treasures.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the introduction to this book. Sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one I can easily recommend and it would make a great gift for any reader. Hope you consider getting a copy, Harvee.

      Delete
  2. Can't go wrong with Patchett. I especially enjoyed The Dutch House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I enjoyed The Dutch House, too. My book group read that one a year or so ago. I think my favorite novel of Patchett's is still Bel Canto, followed by State of Wonder.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, Bel Canto was amazing. Loved how the hostages and terrorists interacted.

      Delete
    3. Tina, several women in my book group said Bel Canto is their favorite of Patchett's. I think I'll nominate it for our 2024 calendar. I'd love to read it again.

      Delete
    4. Good choice!

      Delete
  3. That's so great that you loved it just as much the second time around! And I see you are rereading Cutting for Stone, which was also so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, Cutting for Stone is another reread for book group. I loved it the first time on audio and am trying a listen/read combo this time around.

      Delete
  4. I love that you reread, and loved it just as much the second time, lol. I think State of Wonder is my favourite fiction.
    Signed, Another member of the Patchett Fan Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RG, it took me years to finally settle down and read my copy of State of Wonder, but it turned out to be one of my favorites of Patchett's. I reread my review (here's the link) and see that I had the ARC for almost a decade before I finally read the book. That wouldn't happen today, now that I'm such a huge fan of Patchett's! Glad we're in the same club. :)

      Delete
  5. I feel like Ann Patchett is a kindred spirit. I like her fiction but I think her excellence lies in her essays.

    I heard Patchett speak here: https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/11/inprint-night-in-houston-with-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, I feel the same about Patchett. I plan to buy a copy of Truth & Beauty, which I have not yet read! How wonderful that you were able to attend a book event with her and Groff. I've got a few YouTube videos of her speaking (one with Amor Towles and Laura Dern, as well as one with L.A. Times columnist Steve Lopez) that I plan to watch later this weekend. Almost like going to a book talk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still think of her friend who had cancer & lived at their house. Powerful chapter that hit me. Also the one about her not having kids... some reasons can be tragic - others can be timing or just general feelings ... so it was a bit interesting to hear her. And I still like her nonfiction books best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that is a powerful chapter, isn't it? I also liked the one about not having kids, as well as the one about preparing to move/or die. I still want to read Truth & Beauty. I think that's the only nonfiction remaining of hers.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I have not read that book either. I will put it on my radar.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!