April 7, 2023

Looking Back - Falling Angels

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
2001 Penguin Group
Finished October 24, 2001
Rating: 5/5 (Outstanding)

Publisher's Blurb:

Set in London at the turn of the last century, Falling Angels is a masterful, moving, and beautifully written novel from the author The Orlando Sentinel called "as attentive to the details of daily living as Jane Austen and Edith Wharton ever were."A fashionable London cemetery, January 1901: Two graves stand side by side, one decorated with an oversize classical urn, the other with a sentimental marble angel. Two families, visiting their respective graves on the day after Queen Victoria's death, teeter on the brink of a new era. The Colemans and the Waterhouses are divided by social class as well as taste. They would certainly not have become acquainted had not their two girls, meeting behind the tombstones, become best friends. And, even more unsuitably, become involved with the gravedigger's muddy son.

As the girls grow up, as the new king changes social customs, as a new, forward-thinking era takes wing, the lives and fortunes of the two families become more and more closely intertwined -- neighbors in life as well as death.

Against a gas-lit backdrop of social and political history, Tracy Chevalier explores the prejudices and flaws of a changing time. A novel that is at once elegant, daring, original, and compelling, Falling Angels is a splendid follow-up to the book The New York Times called "marvelously evocative" and The Wall Street Journal deemed "triumphant."

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Wonderful, wonderful book! I didn't want it to end. Very unpredictable. I was shocked by two events. Loved the narrative style (each chapter narrated by a different character), similar to that of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Well-done! Memorable characters. 

My Current Thoughts:

I've kept a copy of this novel for decades, hoping to read it a second time. I've only read one other novel by Chevalier (Girl with a Pearl Earring), which I also greatly enjoyed. It's interesting that in my original notes, I remark on the alternating points-of-view. That style is so common now, but I must not have read very many books using it until the early 2000s. 

10 comments:

  1. I've read a handful of Chevalier's books and this is my favourite, I thought it was amazing for being one of her lesser known books. Like you I've hung on to my copy to read again at some stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, maybe I've inspired both of us to read it again sometime this year!

      Delete
  2. You and I have similar tastes in boks. I very much like Chevalier's books as she adds the historical references which get me interested in finding out more about a time period. In addtion to the books you mentioned I've also read The Lady and the Unicorn and Virgin Blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, we do have similar taste, don't we? I'll have try The Lady and the Unicorn and Virgin Blue sometime. Thanks for the recs!

      Delete
  3. I've read Girl with the Pearl Earring and really liked it, but haven't read this one. I find it interesting which books we choose to keep "forever."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I used to keep all of the books I read, but ran out of space, so I limited that to those I'd want to read a second time. I haven't read very many more than once, but they're my favorites and it's nice to see them all in one big bookcase. Every so often I pluck one from a shelf and tell myself I'm going to make time to read it, but I rarely follow through!

      Delete
  4. I remember reading this a long time ago (Girl with the Pearl Earring, too) but don't remember much about it. More recently I listened to The Last Runaway and rated it 3.5 stars. Some of the history was local to our area of NY, and that made it more interesting to me. I remember enjoying the audio production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I'll probably skip The Last Runaway since you didn't love it. I have so many books piling up and I need to be more selective. With that said, I'm thinking about taking only books that I want to re-read on our trip this summer. I'm afraid if I take something new, I might be distracted and not give it the full attention it deserves. With a re-read, I'm allowing myself to just go with the flow and see if I enjoy those particular books as much as I did the first time around.

      Delete
  5. My aunt used to regularly hand me books by Chevalier to read. I've read 5 of them, but this is the one I rated the highest (4 stars and the others only got 3). I don't remember anything about it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I don't remember much about it either, but I'm going to read it on our upcoming road trip and see if I still enjoy it as much as I did in 2001.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!