June 4, 2023

Troutdale, Oregon

Glacier National Park Road Trip (Fall 2022)
September 6, 2022
Depoe Bay to Troutdale, Oregon
Daily Mileage: 134 
Site #121
Duration: 1 night
Cost: $61.99
Weather: Hot! 90 degrees and sunny

Knowing we get a late start on our first day of a long road trip, we never plan to drive very far. Wanting to gas up at Fred Meyer's before leaving Oregon, we stopped in Happy Valley where we saved .80/gallon. We avoided most of I-5 by driving on Hwy 99E through Woodburn, Aurora, and Canby. We arrived at the RV park in the late afternoon and got settled into our site, which was long enough for two motorhomes!






Sandy Riverfront RV Resort is a couple of blocks from downtown Troutdale and is situated on the Sandy River. Our back-in site overlooked the river (if you peeked through the trees) and we had plenty of shade, which was appreciated as it was sizzling hot! The park offers full hookups, paved and level sites, free cable, picnic tables, laundry (tokens at the office), free showers, and propane. We had good cell service with both Verizon & T-Mobile. It looked like there are a lot of long-term/monthly residents, but the park is well-maintained with nice landscaping. It was also quiet, with the exception of the nearby trains and some highway noise. We didn't get a chance to explore Troutdale (or Sugarpine Drive-In, which is closed on Tuesdays), but there's always next time. With that said, I'm not sure we'll return to this RV park. The main thing going for it is its location to Portland, Multnomah Falls, and Hood River. Otherwise, it's basically a large, paved parking lot that costs twice as much per night as a state campground.

12 comments:

  1. I think this is such a good idea to post your impressions and the facts (like the price) as a real diary of your time, and so you'll know where you want to go again, and where you do not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, that's exactly right! I have gone back and searched my travel posts (most have a link in my sidebar for certain trips) for specific information about campgrounds, restaurants, etc. Plus, it's just fun to re-live those trips. I rarely re-read one of my book reviews, but I enjoy my travel posts, especially when we're home and hunkered down during the rainy winters.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a beautiful place to spend a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it could be, I think. We were just there one night and it was quite hot.

      Delete
  3. Accidentally deleted Helen's comment. Here it is.
    "Every time I read of your RV adventures and see your photos it makes me want to take a road trip. Thank you for sharing your journeys with us!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm glad you enjoy these posts. Sorry I accidentally deleted your comment. I was trying to approve it on my phone instead of my computer!

      Delete
  4. Pretty pix. You're going to have me missing fall colors ... soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, and now we're traveling in early summer and I'm loving all the greenery! We were in the Glacier area yesterday and I told Rod that I think I prefer a spring/summer visit since it's so green. The fall colors can be hit or miss, depending on the timing of our visits.

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy being outdoors but not when it's hot so I probably wouldn't have explored much and just sat in the shade! haha.. Still that would be quite nice to see the water and be surrounded by the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm surprised that it's been so hot on our current trip (Canada). We were out and about near a lake today and it was HOT!

      Delete
  6. Laurel5:36 PM

    Oh, how exciting that you've embarked on your road trip to Canada! We travel the same as you and Rod...no long distances on the first day if we can help it! I'm so glad you commented on our blog to let me know that you're traveling. I have some catching up to do! Happy travels! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, we travel fairly short days, even in the middle of our trips. I think the longest day we'll have on this trip is 236 miles (between Jasper and Barriere). We live by the Rule of Twos. Stay at least two days, arrive by two, and try not to travel more than two hundred miles in a single day. Works for us! I should probably add have no more (or less!) than two cocktails upon arrival. ;)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!