June 6, 2023

Lepage Park and Multnomah Falls

Glacier National Park Road Trip (Fall 2022)
September 7, 2022
Troutdale to Rufus, Oregon
Daily Mileage: 99
Site: #1 (ideal sites #2 or #3)
Duration: 1 night
Cost: $35/night
Weather: Hot! 92 degrees, sunny and windy

We planned a short day so that we could spend some time at Multnomah Falls. In all the years we've visited Oregon, and in addition to living here since 2017, we have never stopped at the falls. It was well worth it!









We continued on along the Columbia River and had no trouble finding the Corp of Engineers campground, which is at the confluence of the Columbia and John Day Rivers. There are 22 sites, vault toilets, (no showers), asphalt pads, picnic tables, fire rings, and our pull-through site had a great view of the river. We didn't have much in the way of shade and it was very hot (92 degrees) and windy, which made for a noisy night. The road noise (from I-84) wasn't too bad, although we could hear vehicles crossing the bridge at the mouth of the John Day River. 

The park has a nice beach area for swimming, and we saw a few fishing boats out on the river. We had a very weak cell signal, but were able to use our WeBoost cell booster to bump it up to 3 bars on both Verizon and T-Moble. 

I spotted one osprey and several ducks, but didn't get any photos.













The sunset and moonrise were amazing! We'll definitely return to this campground.

10 comments:

  1. The lush vegetation at Multnomah Falls awed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, we drove past the falls again on our current trip and it was so gorgeous & lush (green leaves this time instead of fall colors), but there were several school buses unloading groups of high school kids and we decided to continue on to our next stop.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Stunning. I love a good bridge so the waterfall and bridge photos are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it's an awesome waterfall. I can't believe in all the years we've been to and lived in Oregon, this was the first time we stopped. BTW, I accidentally deleted one of your comments the other day, but I copied & pasted it in for you. So sorry! I think it was for the Troutdale travel post.

      Delete
  3. Wow that's gorgeous. What an enormous waterfall. I had no idea that's in Oregon. Such pretty skies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it's quite a waterfall, isn't it?! I hope to hike up to the very top someday when it's not too crowded. It's quite a tourist trap.

      Delete
  4. That waterfall is stunning. I can see why you'd want to return one day. And, very cool moon shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I love waterfalls and this one doesn't disappoint! Thanks for your comment about the moon shots. I would love to learn how to take photos of the night sky, especially stars and the Milky Way.

      Delete
  5. Laurel5:43 PM

    Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed the COE park at John Day! We've stayed there a couple of times and loved the golden hills, the sunsets over the river, and watching the tribal fishermen nearby. Your photos are beautiful...wonderful captures of the moon! Multnomah Falls is beautiful, isn't it? We have a photo of Eric's father as a child with his family standing in front of the falls. It looks just the same today as it did almost 100 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, it was our first COE visit and we will seek out more of those!

      What a treat to have a photo of Eric's dad at Multnomah Falls. I think I have one of me as a little girl in front of Bridal Veil in Yosemite, but not sure where it is!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!