June 9, 2023

Looking Back - Tell No One

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Thriller
2001 Delacorte Press
Finished on December 10, 2001
Rating: 4.5/5 (Terrific!)

Publisher's Blurb:

For Dr. David Beck, the loss was shattering. And every day for the past eight years, he has relived the horror of what happened. The gleaming lake. The pale moonlight. The piercing screams. The night his wife was taken. The last night he saw her alive.

Everyone tells him it's time to move on, to forget the past once and for all. But for David Beck, there can be no closure. A message has appeared on his computer, a phrase only he and his dead wife know. Suddenly Beck is taunted with the impossible -- that somewhere, somehow, Elizabeth is alive.

Beck has been warned to tell no one. And he doesn't. Instead, he runs from the people he trusts the most, plunging headlong into a search for the shadowy figure whose messages hold out a desperate hope.

But already Beck is being hunted down. He's headed straight into the heart of a dark and deadly secret -- and someone intends to stop him before he gets there.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Don't plan on getting to sleep on time with this one. I don't read a lot of thrillers, but when I do I wonder why they aren't part of my regular reading routine. I enjoy the suspense and mystery of a well-crafted tale and get a rush from the intensity of a good page-turner. This book was completely satisfying in those aspects. A little confusing as it wrapped up at the end, but I highly recommend it. Lots of twists and turns. Some sarcastic, snide humor. Simplistic writing style-- is this typical of this genre? As good as 24 Hours by Greg Isles. 

David Beck thinks his wife died eight years ago. Now he's receiving emails and videocam images of her! Oh, and he's been accused of murder, flees the police after assaulting an officer and hangs out with drug dealer, Tyrese. And, he's an upstanding citizen with a pediatric practice. Will definitely read more by Coben!

My Current Thoughts:

I've searched my blog and it looks like Tell No One was the first book I read of Coben's. I've since read several others, as well as many thrillers by other authors. This one might be fun to read again, since of course, I've long forgotten the details! 

8 comments:

  1. I don't think this is one of Coben's that I've read or I didn't make note of it if I did. I think I have mostly concentrated on his Myron Bolitar series. I took a look and think this one might be one of his first standalone thrillers. It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, Rod & I really enjoyed the Myron Bolitar series. This standalone is worthwhile!

      Delete
  2. This author sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it's been years since I've read anything by Coben, but he has a very good series (Myron Bolitar). Give him a try!

      Delete
  3. Another author I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it's been so long since I've read anything by Coben and after reading my old review of this book, I'm feeling like I'd like to pick up something by him again.

      Delete
  4. This totally sounds like one I probably read but I've looked through my blog archives and can't find anything either. I've only read a few of his books and found the threads a bit too convoluted but I do think they are pretty entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, if you haven't tried his "Myron Bolitar" series, I highly recommend that one.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!