September 2, 2023

A Month in Summary - August 2023

Little Whale Cove
Depoe Bay, Oregon
August 2023

Glancing back at my calendar, August was a crazy busy month, with only a couple of days when we had nothing going on. We had three families visiting from California, Colorado, and Texas (not all at the same time!), and we enjoyed meeting a couple of the youngest of those visitors for the first time. The weather couldn't have been nicer; lots of sunshine and comfortable temps so we were able to sit outside on our back deck. It doesn't always rain in Oregon, ya know. :) Actually, we had a much needed rain shower last night, which was lovely. It's been a very dry summer! However, I'm hoping the weather will continue to be nice for our upcoming trip to Canada. 

I'm wrapping up my Summer Reading Challenge this weekend and will get a separate post up for that later next week. As far as August goes, I had a really good month of reading. My favorite book was Tom Lake, but there are four others that were also very good. I gave up on a few books that I started shortly after I finished Tom Lake, and maybe I didn't give those a fair chance, but they were too light and predictable, and didn't hold my interest.


Books Read (click on the title for my review):

The Downstairs Neighbor by Helen Cooper (4/5)

The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green (4.5/5)

The Windsor Knot by SJ Bennett (4/5)

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (3/5)

Tom Lake by Ann Patchett (5/5)

The Vows of Silence by Susan Hill (4.5/5)

Ocean State by Stewart O'Nan (2/5)

Gave Up On:

The Invisible Husband of Frick Island by Colleen Oakley

The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center

Movies & TV Series:


The Valhalla Murders - Terrible dubbing, but not bad. "An Oslo detective with a painful past returns to his native Iceland to help a police officer hunt for a serial killer with a link to a mysterious photograph."


The Bear - Very good! I'm currently watching Season Two and will be sorry when I'm caught up. I loved the episode with a guest appearance from Olivia Coleman. (Every Second Counts. IYKYK.)


Barbie - First movie I've seen in a theater in several years. I went with a group of friends (with low expectations), and while I didn't love it, there was plenty to discuss about women's roles in history, which led to a discussion about the upcoming presidential election and women's rights.


The Fall (Season One) - Disturbing! After watching the first episode, we realized we'd already watched the first season of this series, but didn't remember enough so we decided to continue watching. The psychological thriller examines the lives of two hunters -- one is a serial killer who preys on victims in and around Belfast, Northern Ireland, and the other is a female detective drafted from the London Metropolitan Police to catch him. 


National Theater Live: Fleabag - I went with some friends to see this production at our local performing arts center, in spite of the fact that I've never watched Fleabag. In preparation for the show, I did watch the first episode, just to familiarize myself with the character. Unfortunately, all four of us were disappointed with Phoebe Waller-Bridge's solo theater performance. "Fleabag is a rip-roaring look at some sort of woman living her sort of life. She may seem oversexed, emotionally unfiltered, and self-obsessed, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. With family and friendships under strain and a guinea pig café struggling to keep afloat, Fleabag suddenly finds herself with nothing to lose."



We had a lovely time before the show at Local Oceans, a great seafood restaurant in Newport. Their grilled halibut and peaches are a seasonal favorite.


In the Dark - This BBC program has only four episodes, which is nice since sometimes we don't feel like getting sucked into a long, drawn-out show.

Visitors:

Quinn, Heather and Cora

Heather, Cora, Quinn, Mom, Alison and Brian

Dulcie, Sylvie, Mom, Alison and Brian

Vivie and Emie

Corynn, Vivie, Linda, Mom, Emie and Ryan

Mom and Mark

As I mentioned earlier, we are heading out on another road trip in mid-October. We plan to explore the eastern side of Vancouver Island, beginning and ending with a few days near Victoria. I'm hoping to start blogging about our recent trip to Canada this past summer, but until then, you can checkout my posts about last year's trip to Glacier National Park. I would love to go back there someday, but there are so many other places to visit first.

Happy reading!

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful month of reading and visitors! But you DNF'd 2 books that I enjoyed: Invisible Husband and How to Walk Away. Too bad they weren't good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great month, Helen. Yeah, I had high hopes for those books that I DNF'd, but they were too light and predictable. I probably shouldn't have tried them straight after Tom Lake. But now I'm completely engrossed in The Light Thief, which Tina recommended. I have a feeling that it will wind up in my Top Ten.

      Delete
  2. Very busy month!! I look forward to your photos of the trip. All the visiting looks like fun, I can not Wait for our trip to Lincoln and see our son again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it's been a busy summer! We've really enjoyed seeing all of our visitors, and it was good that everyone came separately rather than a big reunion. So much better for one-on-one conversations. I'll bet you're so eager to get up to Lincoln! Can't wait to hear all about that trip and see some photos. I don't miss the weather there, but I miss the community and our friends.

      Delete
  3. August sounds like a perfect month - lots of family and good books, too! I just love all those smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it really was a perfect month. The weather couldn't have been better. So great to see so many relatives, and to read so many wonderful books. Just finished another 5-star read. You have to read The Light Pirate! It is amazing. I know you'll probably want to wait until the hurricane season has ended, though...

      Delete
    2. Les - I do plan to read The Light Pirate... but will probably wait at least until the worst of hurricane season is over. Just put it on hold at the library.

      Delete
    3. JoAnn, I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  4. What a fun time you had visiting with your family and friends! I always love your write ups because I get some great ideas not just about books but also movies/shows to watch. We have watched The Valhalla Murders and The Fall - enjoyed both of those. Now I have got to look for In the Dark! Hope you're having a great start of the month and fun preparing for your upcoming trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it's really been a great year for visitors! We had more last night! Thanks for your nice words about my monthly summaries. I enjoy keeping track of not only what I've read, but the shows we watch and other events of the month. Regarding In the Dark, we gave up after two episodes (although there are only four). Just wasn't very good, imho.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful shot of the Cove up top ... and like the photos of all your visitors /friends/relatives too. Special times! You really packed in a lot this summer ... not sure how you did it all ... but you did. I don't know The Bear show ... so I will check that out and see if we get it. You probably liked Tom Lake a bit more than me but I still liked it well enough. And I listened to the audio with Meryl which was good. Van Island should be good times ... hopefully it won't rain everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. We have some great views here! We did have a full summer, but it turned out to be pretty manageable, and it was so wonderful to see so many relatives. Yep, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sunny, dry weather on Vancouver Island. In any event, it will be fun to do some more Canadian exploring!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you had a very nice August, as busy as it was. I am glad the weather cooperated with everyone's visits! I am sorry to hear Colleen Oakley and Sara Nisha Adams' books did not work for you--I really enjoyed both. But I do understand how an exceptional read can make all others that come after be disappointments. Best not to waste time on books you aren't enjoying. I am looking forward to reading Tom Lake. Everyone seems to sing its praises. I hope you have a great September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, we've had a wonderful summer and were very grateful for the good weather. We could use some rain now, but it will arrive in another month or two (we hope!). I'm sorry I had so many DNFs this month, but they just weren't pulling me in. I was running out of patience, so I moved on. I'm loving my current read (Little Monsters), so maybe I'm just in the mood for meatier reads right now. Who knows. Hope you enjoy Tom Lake. It's certainnly worthy of all the praise.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!