December 19, 2023

French Braid

 

French Braid by Anne Tyler
Fiction
2022 Alfred A. Knopf
Finished on December 14, 2023
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

From the beloved Pulitzer Prize-winning author--a funny, joyful, brilliantly perceptive journey deep into one Baltimore family's foibles, from a boyfriend with a red Chevy in the 1950s up to a longed-for reunion with a grandchild in our pandemic present.

The Garretts take their first and last family vacation in the summer of 1959. They hardly ever leave home, but in some ways they have never been farther apart. Mercy has trouble resisting the siren call of her aspirations to be a painter, which means less time keeping house for her husband, Robin. Their teenage daughters, steady Alice and boy-crazy Lily, could not have less in common. Their youngest, David, is already intent on escaping his family's orbit, for reasons none of them understand. Yet, as these lives advance across decades, the Garretts' influences on one another ripple ineffably but unmistakably through each generation.

Full of heartbreak and hilarity, French Braid is classic Anne Tyler: a stirring, uncannily insightful novel of tremendous warmth and humor that illuminates the kindnesses and cruelties of our daily lives, the impossibility of breaking free from those who love us, and how close--yet how unknowable--every family is to itself.

Anne Tyler's latest novel (I believe it's her twenty-fourth) took me by surprise. If asked, I would admit with a bit of embarrassment that I am not a fan of Tyler's books. She is so popular and everyone I know seems to love her novels, but I've tried several, and have only finished a handful. 

As I began reading French Braid, I recognized Tyler's familiar style of a domestic story peopled with quirky family members. The novel opens in 2010 with a young couple, Serena and James, who are catching a train from Philadelphia to Baltimore. They had been visiting James' parents, and while waiting for the train, Serena spots her cousin, Nicholas. After a brief conversation with Nicholas, the couple boards the train and spends the duration of their trip bickering about their visit.

Jump back to 1959 in the following chapter and we meet Serena's family, specifically her grandparents, who are taking their three children on their first (and last) family vacation. This sudden shift in the timeline took me by surprise, and we don't meet back up with Serena until much later in the book.

The Garretts are an odd bunch, even disregarding Tyler's unusual names such as Mercy and Candle (the latter is actually Kendall, but she couldn't pronounce her name when she was little and Candle stuck). There are also two grandchildren named after their grandfather, Robin. One is referred to as "Robby the Boy," since his cousin was born first and she is Robby the Girl. Oh, and there's even a dog named John! 

It wasn't until I reached the second half of the novel that I began to care about this strange family, and more specifically, the last chapter (set during the lockdown period of the pandemic), which won me over, tugging at my heartstrings, and tempting me to start reading the book again from the beginning. Spanning sixty years, French Braid is a tender and beautifully rendered story about family, warts and all. Highly recommend.

Click on the links below to read my reviews for other Anne Tyler books:

14 comments:

  1. I think I have only read one Tyler novel and now I feel I should read more of them. Maybe. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm tempted to try more by her, too. Of the eight I've read of hers, half got 4 stars!

      Delete
  2. Wow it sounds like near the ending fully won you over. I have only read a few early Anne Tyler novels but I don't think I've read any recent Tyler novels. hmm Wait! I listened to her novel Noah's Compass in 2017. But I still think Accidental Tourist or Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant might be her best. Still maybe I should try another?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I know some readers aren't interested in re-living the Pandemic in their reading, but I like to see how authors show how others experienced that period of time in our history. I don't feel that it's too soon. So, it's that chapter that really won me over (as well as a couple leading up to the finale). You might enjoy this one!

      Delete
  3. I think I've only read one book by Anne Tyler and it wasn't really my cup of tea. That was years ago though so maybe she would be a better fit now. All those character names sound like a Russian novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jen! Anne Tyler's characters certainly have interesting names. ;) If you are interested in trying another book by her, this one might win you over.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you ended up enjoying this one. I've read quite of few of her novels and would list Digging to America as my favorite. Never heard of Earthly Possessions and missed Noah's Compass, too. Guess I was under the impression that French Braid hadn't been all that popular, but if it won you over I'm adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I have a feeling you'd enjoy this one by Anne Tyler. I'm still thinking about the characters and know it's one I'll read again.

      Delete
  5. Anne Tyler is a bit hit or miss for me too. It had been ages since I read one of her books until a couple of years ago I read, Clock Dance, which I did enjoy. I didn't realize she had written so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I missed Clock Dance, so maybe I'll give that one a try, too. She is quite prolific, isn't she?!

      Delete
  6. I did love this book! One blogger felt like it was her last book. Here is my blogging friend, Liz' entry on the book.
    https://librofulltime.wordpress.com/2022/03/07/book-review-anne-tyler-french-braid/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to Liz's post, Nan. I really enjoyed the book!

      Delete
  7. Laurel7:23 PM

    How have I not read this? I think I forgot about it! I've loved so many of Anne Tyler's books...Accidental Tourist, Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant, Saint Maybe, Vinegar Girl, and more. I was surprised when I encountered some I didn't care for ...A Spool of Blue Thread comes to mind. Since you liked French Braid, I will definitely read it. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, if you enjoy Tyler's novels, I have a feeling you'll love this one. I would like to try some of the books you mentioned. Thanks!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!