December 15, 2023

Wrong Place Wrong Time

 

Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister
Mystery/Thriller
2022 HarperAudio
Narrated by Lesley Sharp
Finished on December 11, 2023
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Can you stop a murder after it’s already happened?

It is midnight on the morning of Halloween, and Jen anxiously waits up for her 18-year-old son, Todd, to return home. But worries about his broken curfew transform into something much more dangerous when Todd finally emerges from the darkness. As Jen watches through the window, she sees her funny, seemingly happy teenage son stab a total stranger.

She doesn’t know who the victim is, or why Todd has committed such a devastating act of violence. All she knows is that her life, and Todd’s, have been shattered.

After her son is taken into custody, Jen falls asleep in despair. But when she wakes up… it is yesterday. The murder has not happened yet—and there may be a chance to stop it. Each morning, when Jen wakes, she is further back in the past, first weeks, then years, before the murder. And Jen realizes that somewhere in the past lies the trigger for Todd’s terrible crime…and it is her mission to find it, and prevent it from taking place.

Whoa! I don't remember who mentioned this book, but thank you! I spent two enjoyable weeks listening to this compelling story, not wanting it to end, but eager to find out what the heck was going on in Jen's world! Technically, it's a time travel tale, however Jen doesn't bounce back and forth between past and present, but rather continues traveling further back in time until she learns why the present day events occur. I guessed one of the twists early on, but there were plenty more to keep me entertained. The pacing is uneven at times, but Lesley Sharp's outstanding performance helped hold my interest, and I'll be on the lookout for more narrations by her. I also look forward to reading more by Gillian McAllister. Any suggestions as to what I should try next? Highly recommend.

10 comments:

  1. I like some time travel elements in a book. Have you read The Midnight Library, I liked that one. Will add to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I did read The Midnight Library and thought it was very good. This one has more of a mystery feel to it. I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of this one, Les. I want to say that I tried another of her books, but I can't find where I finished it. Maybe it was one that I checked out of the library and then didn't get time for. I'm putting this one on my 'soon' list. I've started a couple of books in the last few days that I decided to not finish. I'm always telling others to do that if the book doesn't suit, but I sometimes have a hard time doing it myself. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I think you'll enjoy this one! I've gotten much better about giving up on books that don't pull me in (or hold my attention). Fortunately, I've been on a bit of a roll and have read some really good, if not great, books this year!

      Delete
  3. Intriguing concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, I liked the fact that she didn't return to her current life, but continued going back in her past until she finally figured out what was going on. Quite entertaining!

      Delete
  4. What an intriguing concept: how do we change events to stop something horrible and, of course, when you change the "past" you don't know about long term consequences (maybe the murdered person was awful...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I thought this was a great book on audio, but my husband couldn't get into it (in the print edition). It did make me wonder what I would change from my past, if I could go back in time. It also made me wonder if I would view events in a different light, knowing the outcome in the future.

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy thrillers but I think the premise of this one sounds more unique. I definitely want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I don't think I've ever read anything like this book! Happy reading!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!