February 13, 2024

The Comforts of Home

 


The Comforts of Home by Susan Hill
Simon Serrailler #9
Fiction - Mystery
2018 The Overlook Press
Finished on February 9, 2024
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Following his near-fatal injury dealt by his last case, Chief Superintendent Serrailler is recuperating on a remote Scottish island when the local police pull him into a murder inquiry: a newcomer has died in perplexing circumstances. Chief Constable Kieron Bright, Serrailler's new brother-in-law, calls him in to perform a cold case review. But when events take an unfavorable turn for the superintendent and an arsonist goes on a deadly rampage, Serrailler's personal and professional lives intertwine in more complex and devastating ways than ever before. The Comforts of Home, the ninth book in Susan Hill's acclaimed crime series, will terrify and astonish readers until the final, thrilling page. 

Another winner! The mysteries in each of Hill's books, and the Serrailler family relationships, continue to entertain this reader. There are only three remaining in this series, so I need to start thinking about what I want to try next.

Note: There are so many spoilers in this installment. Definitely not a stand-alone!

6 comments:

  1. This book is the last one of the series that I have read. Think I own at least a couple more of them, but not read yet. I've been thinking of rereading the whole series. It's such a good one. Maybe on audio when I finish the Robert Galbraith books that I'm listening to. I'm on the next to last one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I think the final installment is out in the UK, but not here. So, I have two more that I can borrow from the library. I'm going to wait a while since I really don't want to get caught up! Lol! Like you said, it's such a good series. On the back cover of one of the books, it says that their being adapted for TV. I wonder who will be in that program and when it will be released. I know that Serrailler is supposed to have blonde hair, but I picture David Tennant (who is probably too short, too).

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these but it sounds like I should add the series to my TBR list so I will. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, the entire series is so good! Definitely one that needs to be read in order, though. The mysteries are stand-alones, but the relationships of the main characters go through a lot of changes over the years.

      Delete
  3. The only thing I've read by Susan Hill is The Woman in Black and it was great! Maybe I should consider this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I'll have to try The Woman in Black. As far as this series, it's very satisfying. The mysteries are really just a backdrop for the family relationships, at least in my opinion. That's what I love about the books. I would love to find a similar series after this one. Maybe Donna Leon's... There are 33 in that series!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!