March 22, 2024

Looking Back - Ender's Game

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Science Fiction
1985
Finished on March 13, 2002
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin thinks he is playing computer simulated war games; he is, in fact, engaged in something far more desperate. The result of genetic experimentation, Ender may be the military genius Earth desperately needs in a war against an alien enemy seeking to destroy all human life. The only way to find out is to throw Ender into ever harsher training, to chip away and find the diamond inside, or destroy him utterly. Ender Wiggin is six years old when it begins. He will grow up fast.

But Ender is not the only result of the experiment. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway almost as long. Ender's two older siblings, Peter and Valentine, are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. While Peter was too uncontrollably violent, Valentine very nearly lacks the capability for violence altogether. Neither was found suitable for the military's purpose. But they are driven by their jealousy of Ender, and by their inbred drive for power. Peter seeks to control the political process, to become a ruler. Valentine's abilities turn more toward the subtle control of the beliefs of commoner and elite alike, through powerfully convincing essays. Hiding their youth and identities behind the anonymity of the computer networks, these two begin working together to shape the destiny of Earth-an Earth that has no future at all if their brother Ender fails.

My Original Thoughts (2002):

2/3 of the way through - keep finding myself counting the remaining pages. It's a fun book, but drags a bit. All the training. I'm anxious for a little more action. Love all the futuristic details - laptops, instant messages, "nets," didn't exist or weren't well-known in the 80s. A few nice surprises that made me smile. Group read with Armchair Readers (online group).

My Current Thoughts:

I remember that I enjoyed this book, but not enough to go on and read more of the series. We watched the movie, starring Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, and Ben Kingsley, but I honestly couldn't tell you if I liked it.

12 comments:

  1. I never did read this one or watch the movie I don't think. Ah well - one can't read all the books, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, nope. We certainly can't read all of them! :)

      Delete
  2. I read Ender's Game in 2012 according to my blog. What I remember is the military training school & simulations Ender goes through but not sure much else. Here are my thoughts back then: https://www.thecuecard.com/?s=Ender%27s+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link to your review, Susan. I'd forgotten all about the buggers. Not really a memorable story.

      Delete
  3. I remember liking Ender's Game when it came out, but honestly don't remember much other than I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it seems to be that kind of book!

      Delete
  4. This is one of those books that I feel I am supposed to have read, most probably because so many students read it while I was librarian. But, I am not a huge sci fi fan so never got around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm glad I read it simply to know what it's about, but it's not one that I would recommend, especially to someone who isn't a big scifi reader. However, if you do want a recommendation, I absolutely loved The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I've read it two or three times. It's actually more of an examination of religious beliefs with a backdrop of scifi. Marvelous!

      Delete
  5. I read this with the Armchair group, too, but before that I read it along with my son for school. My son found it startling, and I found it startling---I had no idea that the things Ender was doing were for real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, that is something I remember quite well about the book... being utterly stunned that Ender was not just in training. A very good twist!

      Delete
  6. My son read that but I have not. You'd think amovie with Ben Kingsley might be good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I suspect that I enjoyed the movie. I just don't remember anything about it! ;)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!