March 28, 2024

The Stonecutter

 


The Stonecutter by Camilla Lackberg
Patrick Hedstrom Series #3
Mystery
2012
Finished on March 25, 2024
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Scandi-crime thriller from international bestseller Camilla Läckberg, perfect for fans of Jo Nesbø, Henning Mankell and Stieg Larsson.

The remote resort of Fjällbacka has seen its share of tragedy, though perhaps none worse than that of the little girl found in a fisherman's net. But this was no accidental drowning.Not only was there no seawater found in the girl's lungs--the autopsy yielded far more sinister findings. 

Local detective Patrik Hedström has just become a father. It's his grim task to discover who could be behind the murder of a child both he and his partner Erica knew well. Little Sara Florin's family history could provide the key, but how do you probe into the past of a family who has just suffered the consummate tragedy? What Patrick does not know is how Sara's death will open up the dark heart of Fjallbacka, spanning generations, encompassing a mysterious fire, thwarted ambitions, and pitting neighbor against neighbor, threatening to rip aside Fjallbacka's idyllic facade, perhaps forever.

It's been several years since I read the first two books in Camilla Lackberg's Fjallbacka series. I loved The Ice Princess, which I read in 2016, but was disappointed in The Preacher (the second installment), which I read the following month. As noted in my review (for The Preacher), I think these books are best read in print rather than on audio. Hearing the names spoken caused me great confusion, as many sounded similar to one another. There are also numerous characters to keep track of, and while reading The Stonecutter, I made a cheat sheet in order to stay on top of each new character and how they were related to one another. This third installment turned out to be a good mystery in spite of being able to unravel one of the clues about halfway in. At close to 500 pages, I did feel it could have been shorter, and I grew impatient with Hedstrom and his coworkers, wishing they'd hurry up and solve the murder mystery. At times, the detectives seemed to be fairly inept at their jobs, but Lackberg kept me guessing and overall, I was very pleased with the story. I plan to continue with the next book in the series (The Stranger) later this summer.

9 comments:

  1. Until I read your last line I was about to ask if you planned to keep reading the series. I do love a series, and a detective one always piques my interest. There have been some I felt the same way as you, it could have been shorter.

    So...I was excited to get the copy of Under the Tuscan Sun and hoped I could catch up to you but...the book gods saw to it lots of holds all came in at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I love a good series and I think this one will be worth continuing with. Sorry we couldn't do a buddy read with Under the Tuscan Sun (I finished it a few days ago), but I'll be eager to hear how you like it. I'll get my review posted in a day or two. Getting ready for a road trip, so I'm preoccupied!

      Delete
    2. I'll stay tuned for the road trip info!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this series, but it sounds good. The fact that you want to continue the series is encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it's a good one! There's even a tv series based on the first two books, which I'm looking forward to watching.

      Delete
  3. There's something ominous about Scandinavia---the quiet? a remote setting? the taciturn nature of the people?---that inspires excellent mysteries, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I think it's all of those elements, including the weather. We just finished watching a series (Deadwind) that's set in Finland and I don't think there was a sunny day in all 12 episodes!

      Delete
  4. I read the first six in this series, but have fallen seriously behind. But I always appreciated them most in July or August when just imagining the cold made me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, they are perfect for reading during a long, hot summer!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!