March 15, 2024

Looking Back - The Lake of Dead Languages

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman
Fiction
2002
Finished on February 24, 2002
Rating: 4.5/5 (Terrific!)

Publisher's Blurb:

In the evocative tradition of Donna Tartt’s first novel, The Secret History, comes this accomplished debut of youthful innocence drowned by dark sins. Twenty years ago, Jane Hudson left the Heart Lake School for Girls in the Adirondacks after a terrible tragedy. Now she has returned to the placid, isolated shores of the lakeside school as a Latin teacher, recently separated and hoping to make a fresh start with her young daughter. But ominous messages from the past dredge up forgotten memories that will become a living nightmare.

Since freshmen year, Jane and her two roommates, Lucy Toller and Deirdre Hall, were inseparable–studying the classics, performing school girl rituals on the lake, and sneaking out after curfew to meet Lucy’s charismatic brother Matt. However, the last winter before graduation, everything changed. For in that sheltered, ice-encrusted wonderland, three lives were taken, all victims of senseless suicide. Only Jane was left to carry the burden of a mystery that has stayed hidden for more than two decades in the dark depths of Heart Lake.

Now pages from Jane’s missing journal, written during that tragic time, have reappeared, revealing shocking, long-buried secrets. And suddenly, young, troubled girls are beginning to die again . . . as piece by piece the shattering truth slowly floats to the surface.

At once compelling, sensuous, and intelligent, The Lake of Dead Languages is an eloquent thriller, an intricate balance of suspense and fine storytelling that proves Carol Goodman is a rare new talent with a brilliant future.

My Original Thoughts (2002):

Intricately plotted tale. Absorbing. A bit predictable? No, not predictable, but I did figure out part of the mystery early on, although there were still several surprises. Stayed up late reading. Engrossing.

My Current Thoughts:

I believe this is the only book that I've read by Carol Goodman. If I thought it was so terrific, why haven't I read more by her? She's written over a dozen thriller/suspense novels, so I have plenty from which to choose.

6 comments:

  1. I read this one and have read several others by Carol Goodman. She does have tendency to include schools and upstate New York area and sorta spooky type things in her books. That being said, I still haven't read all her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I may give one of her recent books a try, but with all I have on my shelves, it may be quite some time before I get back to her. If you think of one that you absolutely loved, drop me a note and I'll try to remember to add it to my library list.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before, but I like the combination of adult and YA that this seems to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I wish I could remember more about this book. I don't even own a copy for a re-read, but I think I'll try something else by Goodman.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever read anything by Carol Goodman, but this sounds really good... especially the Adirondack mountain setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, as a friend recently mentioned, this one is very atmospheric. You'd love it!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!