March 12, 2024

The Samurai's Garden - Updated

 

Fiction
1994 St. Martin's Griffin
First Reading: January 13, 2002
Second Reading: Mary 10, 2024
Original Rating: 5/5 (Outstanding!)
New Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Critics nationwide have praised Gail Tsukiyama for her vivid characters and crystalline prose. They have acclaimed the exquisite beauty of her serene settings. But more than anything, readers have celebrated finding themselves in the hands of a strong storyteller with the wisdom and warm heart of an ancient soul.

On the eve of the Second World War, a young Chinese man is sent to his family's summer home in Japan to recover from tuberculosis. He will rest, swim in the salubrious sea, and paint in the brilliant shoreside light. It will be quiet and solitary. 

But he also meets four local residents--a beautiful Japanese girl and three older people. What then ensues is a tale that readers will find at once classical yet utterly unique. Young Stephen has his own adventure, but it is the unfolding story of Matsu, Sachi, and Kenzo that seizes your attention and will stay with you forever.

Tsukiyama, with lines as clean, simple, telling, and dazzling as the best of Oriental art, has created a small, moving masterpiece.

Update:

After posting about The Samurai's Garden last year, I was eager to give it another read, and it finally made its way to my nightstand this past month. I'd forgotten so much about the story and thoroughly enjoyed it this second time around. This novel would make such a lovely movie. 

My Original Thoughts (2002):

The perfect indication of a great book is one that you hug to your chest and whisper, "Great book!" upon completion. It's also the type of book you are tempted to read again the minute you've finished. This is one of those books! Beautifully written. Lyrical. Touching. Simply lovely. I didn't want it to end, so I read slowly, savoring each sentence. Closed the book with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I want to read everything else that Tsukiyama has written. I'll give this as a gift to my book-loving friends and relatives. 

Honor, duty, loyalty. Unspoken love. Zen-like. A soothing, calm book. Beautifully "painted" images. 

My Current Thoughts:

I read this with two online book groups (The Book Spot and On the Porch Swing) and as I recall, everyone loved the book. I plan to read it again this summer while on our trip to Canada.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your thoughts here. And I was thinking that I had read this one, but it doesn't seem to be on my list. Anyway, glad you enjoyed the reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm surprised that you haven't read this. I think you'd enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my all-time favorite novels. My daughter was 7 when I was reading it and asked me to read it aloud to her and she loved it. When I was a librarian, I gave it to at least 15 of my colleagues and they loved. It got me to read all of Tsukiyama's books. Yes, I am a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, how wonderful that your daughter was interested in this novel at such a young age. Like you, I gave several copies to family & friends for Christmas gifts that year. It's such a marvelous story. I've read a few more by Tsukiyama, but not all of them.

      Delete
  3. I was in the online bookgroup that read this book back around 2000. I gave it a four star rating. My reviews back then sound like I was trying to write reviews as haikus: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/459206093

    I look forward to seeing what you think after the reread, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I like your haiku style of review! :)

      I enjoyed my re-read of this book. I'd forgotten so many details, so it was almost as if I read it for the first time. My own brief thoughts are at the top of the post, just below the publisher's blurb.

      Delete
  4. I remember enjoying this book, plus another by this author back then, too.Glad it was worth the reread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I've read a few of her books, but this is my favorite. Definitely worth the re-read.

      Delete
  5. I think I've always wanted to read this one and haven't. Is this the author's most well-known novel? I think so and it sounds great. I will add it to the list for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this may be her most well-known, although Women of the Silk and The Language of Threads were also very popular when they were published. I think you'd enjoy this one!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!