April 13, 2024

Demon Copperhead

 


Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver
Fiction
2022
Finished on April 12, 2024
Rating: 5/5 (Outstanding!)

Publisher's Blurb:

Set in the mountains of southern Appalachia, this is the story of a boy born to a teenaged single mother in a single-wide trailer, with no assets beyond his dead father's good looks and copper-colored hair, a caustic wit, and a fierce talent for survival. In a plot that never pauses for breath, relayed in his own unsparing voice, he braves the modern perils of foster care, child labor, derelict schools, athletic success, addiction, disastrous loves, and crushing losses. Through all of it, he reckons with his own invisibility in a popular culture where even the superheroes have abandoned rural people in favor of cities.

Many generations ago, Charles Dickens wrote David Copperfield from his experience as a survivor of institutional poverty and its damages to children in his society. Those problems have yet to be solved in ours. Dickens is not a prerequisite for readers of this novel, but he provided its inspiration. In transposing a Victorian epic novel to the contemporary American South, Barbara Kingsolver enlists Dickens' anger and compassion, and above all, his faith in the transformative powers of a good story. Demon Copperhead speaks for a new generation of lost boys, and all those born into beautiful, cursed places they can't imagine leaving behind.

I received an ARC of Demon Copperhead in 2022. The size of Barbara Kingsolver's latest novel, as well as the subject matter, made me hesitant to pick it up. I loaned the book to my mom, who told me she hated it. I loaned it to my husband, who gave up after reading a dozen or so chapters. So, it continued to languish on my nightstand, in spite of my affection for Kingsolver's books. I have read all of her novels (with the exception of The Lacuna), and many are on my list for re-reading (Flight Behavior, The Poisonwood Bible, Pigs in Heaven), so why was I so reticent to start this particular book? I'm sure I would have eventually picked it up, but when my book club selected it for our June discussion, that was nudge I needed. Realizing that it would take me a couple of weeks to read, I decided to start before our RV trip to California, knowing I would have several days of uninterrupted reading once we were on the road. Little did I know that this book would consume my waking thoughts and dreams for the next two weeks. 

I love that Kingsolver tells this tale exclusively from Demon's point of view. I quickly came to care about this resilient young boy, heartbroken over the terrible cards that were dealt to him, his mother, and many of the folks in his life. The situations that claim Demon's innocence, as well as the fragmented sentences which make up the early dialogue in the novel, held me in thrall. With each new turn of events, I couldn't help but wonder if life would ever improve for Demon. Even when it looked like he had finally found a good family situation, I worried about the other shoe falling, forcing him back out on his own, struggling to survive the cruelties of society.

I know this must be a difficult (if not impossible) read for anyone touched by the opioid crisis, and I have to admit that there were times when I didn't think I could continue reading. But Kingsolver's prose, while at times perhaps heavy-handed, never felt didactic or gratuitous. She has written an engrossing and important story, which is not merely entertainment, but rather sheds light on a serious societal problem. For this reason, the Pulitzer Prize is well-deserved. I'm eager to hear how others in my book club felt about the book and anticipate a thought-provoking discussion.

I hadn't considered reading David Copperfield before picking up Demon Copperhead, but now I'm curious to give the former a read in order to find the connections between the two stories. I'm also interested in watching Dopesick, which I understand to be an excellent series.

Passages of note:
I made my peace with the place, but never went a day without feeling around for things that weren't there, the way your tongue pushes into the holes where you've lost teeth. I don't just mean cows, or trees, it runs deeper. Weather, for instance. Air, the way it smells from having living things breathing into it, grass and trees and I don't know what, creatures of the soil. Sounds I missed most of all. There was noise, but nothing behind it. I couldn't get used to the blankness where there should have been bird gossip morning and evening, crickets at night, the buzz saw of cicadas in August. A rooster always sounding off somewhere, even dead in the middle of Jonesville. It's like the movie background music. Notice it or don't but if the volume goes out, the movie has no heart. I'd oftentimes have to stop and ask myself what season it was. I never realized what was holding me to my place on the planet of earth: that soundtrack. That, and leaf colors and what's blooming in the roadside ditches this week, wild sweet peas or purple ironweed or goldenrod. And stars. A sky as dark as sleep, not this hazy pinkish business, I'm saying blind man's black. For a lot of us, that's medicine. Required for the daily reboot. (Demon's thoughts on living in a city.)
and
"Certain pitiful souls around here see whiteness as their last asset that hasn’t been totaled or repossessed."
and
“It’s not something to fix,” he said. “It means strong. Outside of all expectation.” I looked at him. He looked at me. His hands were on his desk with the fingers touching, a tiny cage with air inside. Black hands. The knuckles almost blue-black. Silver wedding ring. He said, “You know, sometimes you hear about these miracles, where a car gets completely mangled in a wreck. But then the driver walks out of it alive? I’m saying you are that driver.”
An affecting and memorable coming-of-age tale which I doubt will ever leave me. Highly recommend!

Novelists like Kingsolver have a particular knack for making us empathize with lives that may bear little resemblance to our own. ~ Salon

Spoiler Alert: 


I was pleased with the hopeful ending...

15 comments:

  1. I tried The Poisonwood Bible and couldn't get into it but that was almost 15 years ago. Currently, languishing on my to-read shelf in the den is Unsheltered. Have you read that one?
    We all have different tastes so, one loves a book and another feels opposite! Do you and your mom usually have similar book tastes?

    Oh, thanks for the comment about The Empty House. I answered you on my blog and I ALWAYS appreciate your input :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I read Unsheltered at the end of 2019 and while I gave it a fairly high rating (4/5), I had to look at my review to refresh my memory on the plot. It's not one that I loved or will read again. Here's the link to that review.

      My mom and I have similar taste in books, but we don't always share the same opinion of them. I'm lucky that she is such a voracious reader and passes her books along to me when she's finished.

      Delete
    2. Had to jump into this conversation, too! I read Unsheltered in early 2020's early pandemic days and enjoyed it quite a bit - 4 stars. I wasn't a huge fan of The Poisonwood Bible way back when and wonder if I'd feel differently now.

      Delete
    3. JoAnn, glad you jumped in. Maybe we could buddy re-read The Poisonwood Bible sometime later this year...

      Delete
  2. I like Kingsolver's earlier novels and haven't tackled her later ones. I am so glad you enjoyed this book so much after avoiding it for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm glad I enjoyed it, as well. I've been on quite a roll with long books this year and this one could have been another 100 pages and I would have been happy.

      Delete
  3. I have the audiobook, but at one point it became a little overwhelming. Maybe now is the time to go back and listen to the rest. Kingsolver is always a winner, but the story is difficult knowing the effects of the opioid crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I have it on audio, and may give it a re-read in that format sometime in the future, but I can imagine listening to it would be quite overwhelming. Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors and this one didn't disappoint.

      Delete
  4. I picked this up and put it down two or three times before I finally gave it a read. It was bleak, and depressing, but very, very true. It ended up being one of my favorite reads of the year. I'm glad you were able to read it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I agree. It is very, very true. I know of at least three family members who have become addicted to opiods, and sadly, one did not survive that addiction. I'm very grateful that the other two have been in recovery for many years and living healthy, happy lives. I wonder if we've reached the point that everyone personally knows of someone who has been affected by the opoid crisis.

      Delete
  5. Great review, Les! This was a tough read and I, too, considered setting aside several times. So glad I persevered though. I listened to Dopesick back in 2019. Learned a lot and rated it 4 stars. I'd forgotten about the series, but I'll look for. I've read most of her novels, too, but somehow missed The Lacuna. I'll get to it eventually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. It was a very tough read, especially since I know of family members who have dealt with addiction, and very sadly, one who did not survive. I remember when Rod had his shoulder surgery and was given oxy for pain relief and how worried I was that he could become addicted. Fortunately, he did not stay on that medication very long.

      The Lacuna is another book that might make for a fun buddy read.

      Delete
  6. Yeah I liked it quite a bit as well. Epic. And my book club did well discussing it which surprised me a bit. It wound up on my best of list from last year. I liked following Demon's journey -- it seemed believable even though hard and harsh in places. I was hopeful when he got to the Coach's house and had his football career ... even though it goes down from there again ... I'm glad it ended on a hopeful upswing. I'd like to read more of her books. This was my first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I too enjoyed following Demon's journey, although I was worried he'd never catch a break! Oooh, if you haven't read more by Kingsolver, I'd say give Flight Behavior a try. I may read that later this year, if you're interested in a buddy read. The Poisonwood Bible is also one that I want to read again, but it's one of those books that readers either loved or hated, so I don't know if I should recommend it to you. I will read The Lacuna this year, for sure. I don't know why I never got to it when it was published.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!