April 1, 2024

The Plot

 


Mystery/Thriller
2021
Finished on March 30, 2024
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Jean Hanff Korelitz’s The Plot is a psychologically suspenseful novel about a story too good not to steal, and the writer who steals it.

Jacob Finch Bonner was once a promising young novelist with a respectably published first book. Today, he’s teaching in a third-rate MFA program and struggling to maintain what’s left of his self-respect; he hasn’t written—let alone published—anything decent in years. When Evan Parker, his most arrogant student, announces he doesn’t need Jake’s help because the plot of his book in progress is a sure thing, Jake is prepared to dismiss the boast as typical amateur narcissism. But then . . . he hears the plot.

Jake returns to the downward trajectory of his own career and braces himself for the supernova publication of Evan Parker’s first novel: but it never comes. When he discovers that his former student has died, presumably without ever completing his book, Jake does what any self-respecting writer would do with a story like that—a story that absolutely needs to be told.

In a few short years, all of Evan Parker’s predictions have come true, but Jake is the author enjoying the wave. He is wealthy, famous, praised and read all over the world. But at the height of his glorious new life, an e-mail arrives, the first salvo in a terrifying, anonymous campaign: You are a thief, it says.

As Jake struggles to understand his antagonist and hide the truth from his readers and his publishers, he begins to learn more about his late student, and what he discovers both amazes and terrifies him. Who was Evan Parker, and how did he get the idea for his “sure thing” of a novel? What is the real story behind the plot, and who stole it from whom?

I missed all the fuss over The Plot when it first hit the shelves in 2021, so I didn't know anything about it when I found it on the shelf at our neighborhood library. What caught my attention was this tiny blurb on the cover: "Insanely readable." - Stephen King. I have read and loved many books with King's endorsement, so I took the book home and added it to my stacks. A day later, I saw a few Instagram posts about a new book by Korelitz called The Sequel. Everyone seemed very excited about this follow-up, so as soon as I finished The Stonecutter, I immediately picked up The Plot.

Wow! I could not put the book down! This is the quintessential page-turner, but I forced myself to slow down and enjoy the read rather than rushing ahead to see how it would end. And what an ending! Of course, now I can't wait to read The Sequel, which is due out on October 1st. I went into The Plot without any knowledge of, well, the plot, and I intend to stay away from any blurbs about The Sequel. I love to be utterly surprised by a book, particularly a mystery/thriller.

In addition to the suspenseful aspect of this novel, I enjoyed the details about writing, publishing, and marketing a book. As you know, my husband is a writer (you can learn more about his books on his website), and I have spent many years working in bookstores, so it was fun to read more about the process from an author's point of view.

Meanwhile, I happen to have another book by Korelitz in my stacks. Who knew! I read so many rave reviews about various novels and eventually buy those books to add to my TBR piles. The Latecomer is one that I bought with some Christmas money, so now I'm very eager to give it a read. In addition to The Latecomer, Korelitz has six others to sample. I love discovering a new-to-me author who has a decent backlist. Whoohoo!

Have you read The Plot? I can't wait for my husband and mom to read it so I have someone with whom to discuss the big denouement. Maybe I'll recommend it to my book group for next year's reading list. 

Oh! And have you watched the HBO series, The Undoing (starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant)? It's based on Korelitz's novel You Should Have Known. Great show!

More from Stephen King:
The Plot is one of the best novels I've ever read about writers and writing. It's so insanely readable and the suspense quotient is through the roof. It's remarkable. 

I agree!

14 comments:

  1. I have read The Plot and liked it. This was late 2022 or early 2023. The mystery group here read and discussed it in January of 2023, I think. Anyway, I went back and read the group leader's post about that meeting and their discussion. Seems like it was a good one with some liking and some not. That always makes for the best discussions - ha! Interesting about The Sequel. I'll be watching for that one. I also have The Latecomer, but haven't read it yet. I have read The Undoing when it was known as You Should Have Known. I apparently didn't write anything about it on the blog though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kay. A mixed reaction to a book always seems to make for a great book group discussion. Yes, interesting about The Sequel. With no spoilers here, I will say I pretty much figured out early on who was sending the emails to Jake, but I didn't see that ending coming at all! If I had listened to it on audio, I would have thought there was one more chapter coming... Ha!

      Delete
  2. I remember when all the hoopla came out about this book, but I didn't read it. Thank you for reminding me about it. Onto the TBR list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Helen. I went back and read some of my friends' reviews for it on Goodreads and there are a few who weren't as impressed as I was. I thought it was very good!

      Delete
  3. I LOVED the Latecomer and I did read The Plot after that. It was so good! Did not know about The Sequel so thanks for the heads up on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard about The Latecomer from JoAnn or you, Tina. I'm looking forward to reading it later this year. Currently reading Demon Copperhead. I've owned an ARC for far too long and decided it was time to pick it up!

      Delete
  4. The Latecomer was probably my favorite novel last year - loved it! I've been meaning to read The Plot ever since, but now that The Sequel is coming out, it needs to be soon. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great to hear, JoAnn. I plan to read The Latecomer after we get home from our trip. Hope you enjoy The Plot as much as I did!

      Delete
  5. I listened to The Plot on audio a year or two ago. I thought it started slowly but the ending was a killer, lol ... with a nice twist. I had not read her before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your review for The Plot, Susan. I wonder if it's better in print than audio... I suspected the writer of the emails early on, but was not prepared for the finale!

      Delete
  6. Another one I missed. An endorsement by Stephen King puts this on the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I'm hopeful that the second book is just as good!

      Delete
  7. OOOooooo, I wonder if my bookclub would be up for this. Ty, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope mine will be, Care! I can't wait for the follow-up!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!