May 20, 2024

Devorgilla Days

 


Devorgilla Days by Kathleen Hart
Nonfiction - Memoir
2021
Finished on May 18, 2024
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

This is a story about uncovering the things that really matter, and discovering what makes us feel alive. It is a story about finding that inner strength and resilience, and never giving up hope.

Eight years ago, Kathleen Hart was diagnosed with breast cancer. Further complications led to a protracted recovery and months spent in hospital, where Kathleen had to learn how to walk again. While recuperating, she came across a small whitewashed cottage for sale in Wigtown, Scotland. Driving hundreds of miles on nothing more than a few photographs and an inkling, she bought it that very same day, and named it Devorgilla after the formidable 13th century Scottish princess.

Devorgilla Days is the story of how Kathleen left behind her old life to begin again in Scotland's book capital. From renovating her cottage to exploring the seemingly quiet, but actually bustling town, she encounters a whole community of book lovers, beekeepers, artists and writers - and Lobster Fishermen. Kathleen starts wild swimming, a ritual that brings peace and clarity to her mind as her body heals. And, with the support of her virtual worldwide community who know her as PoshPedlar on Instagram, she rebuilds her life again.

Heartwarming and deeply moving, Devorgilla Days is an inspiring tale of one woman's remarkable journey, a celebration of community, and a call-to-arms for anyone who has ever dreamt of starting over.

I thought I read about Devorgilla Days on a friend's blog, but I can't locate their review, nor can I find any mention of it by my friends on Goodreads. Hmmm, it must have been shared by someone on Instagram, which is where I've gotten a lot of recommendations lately. I'm sure the beautiful cover art caught my eye, as well as the subtitle ("finding hope and healing in Scotland's book town"). 

Kathleen Hart's memoir is somewhat reminiscent of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea. Both memoirs are personal introspections, as well as observations of their surroundings, yet rather than a solo retreat on Sanibel Island, Hart buys a small cottage in Scotland, where she lives alone, recovering from numerous illnesses and setbacks: Pneumonia, breast cancer and a mastectomy, multiple reconstructive surgeries, pleurisy, a slipped disc, three attempts at a discectomy, and, (as if that's not enough!), a tumor in her chest, which required open-heart surgery. She really has had everything thrown at her! And yet, despite her terrible luck, she recovers, finds joy and friendship in her new community, and takes daily swims (weather permitting) in the frigid Wigtown Bay. Remarkable! 

Hart's writing is engaging and uplifting, and I enjoyed a glimpse into her not-so-solitary life in Scotland. Once settled, she learns to be "her own best friend," but it isn't long before she's joining a variety of groups, finding new activities to occupy her time: Beekeeping, a knitting group called Knit and Natter, Scottish country dancing, watercolor painting, Gaelic lessons, and of course, swimming.
The wind blusters across the cool water, ruffling its surface, and splashes of briny spray sting my face as I sweep, kick, thrust out into the bay. Miles to the south, the craggy silhouette of the Lake District is vivid against a peachy sky. It's very clear today; even the terrain is visible: valleys, cliffs, scree, all glowing golden in the last of the light. It's a wonderful sight, romantic and alluring, and it could be anywhere in the world. I conjure up the peaks of a rugged Antipodean island, or perhaps a mountain range in Mongolia. It looks close enough to swim to. I propel myself forward, towards the horizon--horizons give me hope; they are a glimpse of the future. Across to the west, on the opposite side of the bay, the heather high up on the Galloway Hills glows and shimmers like an amethyst, glinting in the final rays of the sun. The cairn is silhouetted gold, like the halo of a Russian icon.

A severe cold spell is forecast, with fierce storms on the way, so I make the most of the session, swimming slow steady laps across from the breakwater to the harbour wall. The sun is very low now, cradled by a dip in the field, and casts silvery spangles over the tar-black water. A crow waddles across the beach, picking his way through large mounds of seaweed, searching for his supper. The hills and mountains have softened now, bathed in a soothing amber hue. Two swans sweep by, rhythmically beating time, wings not quite clipping the surface of the water. I can hear the swoosh, swoosh as they head into the harbour. I float a while, suspended, letting my mind go quiet, treading water, cupping my hands and pushing ripples out to sea, wondering where they will land, these mini whorls of water. Perhaps they'll reach Dublin, maybe New York.

My skin is tingling with the cold, my fingers white and aching, and I can see lights glowing in the cottages across the estuary. The sun has set. It's time to get out. 
Devorgilla Days is less about a community of bookstores (twelve!) and more about a community of kind-hearted neighbors. It's less about Hart's physical ailments and more about her keen sense of awareness of her surroundings and the natural environment she inhabits. I loved this book and am now one of her many thousand Instagram followers (@poshpedlar). Her curated photographs and cheerful quotations are beautiful and inspiring, as one would imagine. I wish her good health and happiness!

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a real feel good about humanity type of book, which is such a pleasure to read (especially given the news these days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it took me a bit to get hooked, but it wasn't long before I looked forward to reading this every night. Her descriptions of the area in which she lives are beautiful, and her neighbors sound like wonderful friends.

      Delete
  2. I'd not heard of this book and while I tend to avoid books about surviving breast cancer, I may look at this one. What a wonderful review you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I think it's safe to read this one. There really aren't a lot (if any, as I recall) of details about her cancer treatment. It's just one of the many ailments she endured. Thank you for your nice comment. I find it easier to write a review for the books I enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I have this book on my Kindle. My grandma was Scottish and I've always been curious about that part of the world. I think I need to read this one now! Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, my brother and his family are taking a vacation to Scotland next month, so that added to my reading pleasure. Enjoy the book!

      Delete
  4. Okay. I'm going to go follow her too! This is the first I've heard of this book. But what a wonderful idea to buy a house & live in Scotland, yay. Gosh I would if I had that many serious illnesses. The town really has that many bookstores?! I'm glad you liked this one. It sounds life affirming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, wouldn't that be a great place to visit? So many bookstores!! It was a lovely read.

      Delete
  5. Wigtown is enough to make me want to read this, but Katherine's illness and journey make it even more intriguing as I love a good personal memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, this turned out to be a gem of a read! I love memoirs and this one didn't disappoint. The illnesses provide a backdrop, but aren't dwelled on too much, which I appreciated.

      Delete
  6. One of my friends went to Wigtown several years ago so I've got to get this book for her! And, a copy for me too as it sounds so good. So many sad things but despite that it sounds so uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, how fun that one of your friends spent time in Wigtown. It sounds like a lovely community! Yes, the author encountered so many sad events in her life, but she's a survivor and has such a great attitude on life!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!