May 10, 2024

Looking Back - Crazy Love

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Crazy Love by David Martin
Fiction
2002
Finished on March 1, 2002
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

David Martin has proved to be an unusually versatile writer, both of acclaimed thrillers like Lie to Me and of love stories like The Crying Heart Tattoo. Now, in Crazy Love, Martin has created remarkable characters and his richest story a chronicle of passion and heartbreak.

Joseph Long, known locally as Bear, is a farmer ridiculed by neighbors for his strangeness. Lonely nearly to the point of madness and so desperate for human touch, he leans against the hands of the barber giving him a haircut.

Katherine Renault is a successful career woman, wondering why, if she has the perfect job and the perfect fiancé, does she feel so hollow inside -- even before the illness, the disfiguring surgery.

They should have nothing in common -- though he has a magical touch with animals, he considers them property, while she can't tolerate their mistreatment. She's a sophisticated city dweller who can't abide violence, and he's never traveled beyond the local town and has blood on his hands. But love is crazy, and soon they are rescuing the injured of the world just as they rescue each other. Enduring violence and loss, they live in a domestic bliss wide and deep enough to dilute most of life's dramas, until fate tests them again.

Funny, erotic, emotionally powerful, yet surprisingly unsentimental about our relationships with each other and with animals in our care, Crazy Love will heal broken hearts.

My Original Thoughts (2002):

I loved this book up until the final pages! I would have given it a perfect 5-star rating, otherwise. Tugs at your heartstrings (ok, I cried a few times - something I rarely do while reading). Compassionate. Memorable characters. 

My Current Thoughts:

I no longer own my copy of this book, and honestly, I have no memory of the story.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! It's funny that books we love/like many years later may not leave a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I find it so odd that I don't remember anything about this book despite my high rating! You would think I'd at least have some glimmer of recollection.

      Delete
  2. I have never read it, and I have never heard about it. I wonder, if you read it again, if you would remember it and if you would like it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I have so many books that I remember vividly and want to read again, so I doubt I'll add this one to my re-read list since I can't remember a thing about it. Too many books, so little time...

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!