July 11, 2024

Salt to the Sea

 


Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Fiction - YA
2016
Finished on July 6, 2024
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In 1945, World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, almost all of them with something to hide. Among them are Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge en route to the ship that promises salvation, the Wilhelm Gustloff. Forced by circumstance to unite, the three find their strength, courage, and trust in each other tested with each step closer toward safety. Just when it seems freedom is within their grasp, tragedy strikes. Not country, nor culture, nor status matter as all ten thousand people aboard must fight for the same thing: survival.

A tribute to the people of Lithuania, Poland, and East Prussia, Ruta Sepetys unearths a shockingly little-known casualty of a gruesome war, and proves that humanity can prevail, even in the darkest of hours.

A winner from the backlist shelf! I read Sepetys' debut novel (Between Shades of Gray) over a decade ago, and while I appreciated that suspenseful and eye-opening story, I enjoyed Salt to Sea even more. Once I was able to recognize and remember background details of the central characters, I was hooked, eager to return to the book every night. Sepetys weaves the narrative with alternating perspectives, each chapter devoted to one of the four main characters. The additional supporting characters are given equal time within the chapters, and I came to care about each, apart from one (for obvious reasons, to those who have read the book).

I'm familiar with the Titanic and Lusitania disasters, but until now, have never heard of the 1945 Soviet submarine attack on the German cruise liner in the Baltic Sea. As with most great historical novels, I'm inspired to learn more, and would like to find a nonfiction account of the Wilhelm Gustloff tragedy. Death in the Baltic: The World War II Sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff by Cathryn J. Prince sounds promising. 

The book is 418 pages in length, yet the text of the novel is only 378 pages. There are forty additional pages that include an impressive collection of ancillary items: Author's note, research and source material, acknowledgments, maps, discussion questions, and "in conversation" material from individuals who shared knowledge or direct experience of that period in history. With that said, the novel's chapters are two to three pages in length. Toward the end, several chapters contain a single sentence. My point is that this may appear to be a lengthy work, yet it is a compelling story that is easily read over a short period of time. For those readers who disdain young adult novels, Salt to the Sea is impressive and worthy of the numerous awards bestowed upon it.

Highly recommend.

10 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Sepetys is so darn good at historical fiction and this one is no exception. I heard recently that she has a book coming out in the Fall that is co-written with Steve Sheinkin on Bletchley. I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, wasn't it Helen? Sepetys is becoming a favorite author of historical fiction, and I'm looking forward to reading more by her. Her new book sounds like a winner!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I plan to read more by this author!

      Delete
    2. I've read three by this author---this one, I Must Betray You, and Between Shades of Gray---and I enjoyed all three.

      Delete
    3. Adding I Must Betray You to my library list! Thanks, Deb.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read anything by Sepetys, but I have a couple of her books on my TBR shelf. It sounds like she's an author I need to move up on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, she's one that I'll read more of. I always learn something about history from her novels.

      Delete
  4. Yeah I guess I have never heard of the Soviet attack on the cruise liner either. But it sounds like a pretty gripping account. I have not read Sepetys but I need to get over the YA label ... as so many love her historical books, and I often like historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I know what you mean about the YA label. This one was better than some that I've read.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!